Raid 0 Problems

Rafael_BR
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
19 minutes ago, Rafael_BR said:

Hello guys,

I have two SSD's from WD (green model 240gb each) and I am trying to create a Raid 0 partition exclusive for games (I do not want to install windows on them), but it does not work. It's my first time creating a Raid 0 partition, by the way.

I have a 120GB Corsair LX with Windows 10 Pro installed (SO only). I also have a 1TB SSHD for backup and other files. My motherboard is a Gigabyte model GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK (BIOS version F8).

My question is: How do I create a Raid 0 partition with my two identical SSD's? I watched some tutorials on YouTube, but I do not want to install Windows on them because I already have a exclusive SSD for it.

Could you guys help me?

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Should be in the BIOS of your board, where you set that up...

Dont use the motherboard for raid, it sucks.

Use storage spaces in windows instead. Go to create new storage spaces and make a new striped volume, set collums to 2 and you have a sfotware raid array that is much better than is what is on the board. Don't toucht the bios.

Hello guys,

I have two SSD's from WD (green model 240gb each) and I am trying to create a Raid 0 partition exclusive for games (I do not want to install windows on them), but it does not work. It's my first time creating a Raid 0 partition, by the way.

I have a 120GB Corsair LX with Windows 10 Pro installed (SO only). I also have a 1TB SSHD for backup and other files. My motherboard is a Gigabyte model GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK (BIOS version F8).

My question is: How do I create a Raid 0 partition with my two identical SSD's? I watched some tutorials on YouTube, but I do not want to install Windows on them because I already have a exclusive SSD for it.

Could you guys help me?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Rafael_BR said:

GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

19 minutes ago, Rafael_BR said:

Hello guys,

Could you guys help me?

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Use storage spaces in windows instead. Go to create new storage spaces and make a new striped volume, set collums to 2 and you have a sfotware raid array that is much better than is what is on the board. Don't toucht the bios.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK-rev-10#support-manual

Page 65 goes into detail. Before doing this, double check you've got a proper backup of anything important. You're  actively changing chipset settings that could effect bootup. Make sure you're selecting only the drives you want to make a single, logical volume out of. Also, RAID 0 is known as "deathwish RAID" in some circles. It has 0 redundancy, so anything on it can be lost if the RAID breaks. I understand you intend to use for only games, just making sure you're aware. Speed benefit over single SSDs isn't much in most cases. If that is your main reason you'd be better off making a E:\ and F:\ drives and installing games as needed. Steam and most game managers make this easy. If you still wish to make a RAID 0, best of luck! ^__^

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

23 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Even if it's hardware RAID?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Even if it's hardware RAID?

Basically no consumer boards have hardware raid, there using the fake raid on the chipset, and software raid is much better than the fake raid on the board.

Also if you switch the bios mode to raid it often won't boot as the driver is different.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I didn't know that, thanks! Could you recommend a good software?

21 minutes ago, Rafael_BR said:

He recommended Windows Storage Spaces.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

1 hour ago, Rafael_BR said:

Use storage spaces, its built in and works well.

Thank you guys! I just did and it worked just fine. However, 2.25gb is being used (the partition is empty) for something I don't know. Is it normal?

22 hours ago, Rafael_BR said:

Thank you guys! I just did and it worked just fine. However, 2.25gb is being used (the partition is empty) for something I don't know. Is it normal?

Most likely space being taken for partition and redundancy info. It could also be related to Windows Shadow Copy. Either way, I really wouldn't stress over it. Install some games, test and decide if this solution will work for you.