Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

4790 bottleneck

Alright, so I have an i7-4790 with a MSI GTX 1080 8gb and it produces about a 10% bottleneck. I upgraded to the 1080 from a MSI GTX 1060 6gb. I have been playing Bo4, Overwatch, and Siege and getting about 110-130fps on medium settings at 1080p (Only played Bo4 since I got a 1080p 144Hz monitor). I had a 1440p 144hz monitor before and I got around 60-80fps on medium-high settings. I was wondering if I put the 1060 back in to reduce the bottleneck, would my framerates improve at 1080p or even with the bottleneck am I getting more than the 1060 can produce?

you'll never get more when you downgrade a component. if you're fine with your performence, just use the 1080. if not, time for a cpu upgrade then

So the only thing to improve framerates is to upgrade my cpu? Would the K version make a difference?

Just now, Boyla said:

So the only thing to improve framerates is to upgrade my cpu? Would the K version make a difference?

the only difference that it makes is overclocking. if you do that you'll have better performence. it depends on your budget and your need to overlock.

also, tag or quote me next time

No your FPS wouldn't improve.

You do understand that there is ALWAYS going to be a bottleneck right? Either your CPU or GPU is always going to bottleneck. One easy way I can see to reduce the bottleneck would be to up your graphic settings to high in those games... that would put more load on the gpu and reduce the load on the cpu.

From what I can tell though you are trying to get high frames to take advantage of the 144hz monitor. So the truth to that is that the higher the fps the more draw calls and back and forth that needs to take place with the cpu and gpu... which increases the use on the CPU. So you hit a point where the cpu can just not keep up and becomes the bottleneck. This is 100% NORMAL.

So just remember there is a scale. The higher the graphics/resolution the more load on the gpu and the less load on the cpu. The lower the graphic settings/resolution the higher the fps and the more strain on the cpu. You can bottleneck a 5.5ghz 9900k for example if you ran a game at 720p on a 1080.

@LukeSavenije

@AngryBeaver

Thanks for your help fellas, it really cleared up my situation. I was thinking about upgrading to a 8700k anyway and maybe trying to overclock.