network port not working

emosun

The network port on my asus pk5 seems to not be working. I did a passmark run and wanted to upload the results so I plugged an ethernet into the back and nothing. Windows says cable is unplugged , and port lights do not come on. Cable works fine on main pc. This machine did upload a result last year so the port was working at one point so I'm at a loss here.

Something else interesting , the computer also cannot recognize an xbox 360 controller. No plug and play popup , nothing listed under controllers either.Windows 7 has 360 controller driver built in so that's weird as well.

9 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

try using your phone with tethring to update some drivers

well I can just usb some drivers to it , but the driver doesn't seem to have an issue it more looks like a hardware issue

I've actually never plugged an ethernet into a port and NOT seen the lights go on. even when no driver is installed a port usually lights up when a link is detected.

I suppose i have to break out a pci ethernet card

Just now, emosun said:

well I can just usb some drivers to it , but the driver doesn't seem to have an issue it more looks like a hardware issue

I've actually never plugged an ethernet into a port and NOT seen the lights go on. even when no driver is installed a port usually lights up when a link is detected.

I suppose i have to break out a pci ethernet card

you could take a look at the mobo if you see any damage, but that's about it. that pci card might be your best bet here

but it could still not be recognised and that could be the reason it's not lighing up, check device manager before you get the card

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

but it could still not be recognised and that could be the reason it's not lighing up, check device manager before you get the card

the lights are hardware dependent not software. thats why the lights will be on even when no os or software is loaded when you first power on a machine

I'm thinking the port just gave up