Computer desk suggestions.

I am looking for a computer desk right now. I have been using a Card table, yes I said a card table, and it's no longer meeting my needs anymore since I have 3 monitors, some A/V components professional audio monitors and a few hard drives and I have a mic arm mounted to this card table as well. (That was interesting to get working) The width of my current desk is about 46 inches, depth is about 19 inches and height is about 24 and a half. Most desk as I understand are about 30 inches in height, although I'd like to get a form of an up desk so I can stand up once in a while, but my issue comes with the width and depth, I have a very small home office space and need to fit something in this room that can work well. I roughly measure I can fit a 5-foot width desk and possibly a 30-inch depth, however, 30 inches is pushing it. I was wondering if anyone knew of a desk that would work for me, and is affordable that I could get at Amazon or OfficeDepot.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

Get started in woodworking and make your own one.

That way you can save money, enjoy the process and make it according to YOUR specifications, rather than the blank specifications of 1000 people, like most manufacturers use.

And I am also a very big advocate for people learning new skills like woodworking.

2 hours ago, Netivity said:

woodworking

Yuuup

A skillsaw and a jigsaw and a sander, easy as pie

13 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Yuuup

A skillsaw and a jigsaw and a sander, easy as pie

Also, the added satisfaction of accomplishment and pride.

Just now, Netivity said:

Also, the added satisfaction of accomplishment and pride.

I am afraid, Ikea does not fit that standard.

I built my own desk after looking at how much larger desks cost, and how cheaply theyre made.

My desk is a corner desk, the 'short' side is 5'x 30"  the long side is 10.5'x30"

(30 inches deep)

I used 2x4's screwed to the studs,  then made a 'frame' 28" off the floor, and then set cabinet grade plywood on top (I bought at home depot - they cut it to my specs,  I brought a water bottle with me to find the sheets I wanted (wet a corner to see how itll look with sealer) 

So I set up the desk,  and for the inside right angle where you sit, I cut a piece of the plywood, used a biscuit jointer and wood glue and may the 90* an angle about 18" long.

For supports under the desk,  I used garbage picked wood poles I stripped and sealed with poly.

For the top,  I used GlazeCoat from Lowes, 2 coats...  so my desk has the same finish as a bar.  I didnt stain the wood at all, just added the glazecoat... I sorta screwed it up when I made it, as I didnt push the top back into the corner but that actually worked out well as the glazecoat 'glued' the top to the frame.

I finished off the outside of the 2x4's with some garbage picked base trim, stabled to the 2x4's

For the cut outs to run wires, (I later found a better solution at homedepot,  but I used wooden switch plate covers, modifiied to fit over the holes I made, and put them in place price to glaze coating...

I cut 5" pieces off the one extra pole I had and made legs,  and then repurposed a solid oak shelf to hold my monitors, so that sit above the desk surface.

The result is a desk that has NO visible fasteners, and is solid as a rock....

my_desk_-_Copy.jpg

I used a router to round the edges, and then a ryobi 5" orbital sanded with 220 grit to sand the edges and top prior to coating,  vacuum, then a tac rag, then coat.

the glaze coat stuff is AMAZING to work with and works really well with a finishing trowel -NOT a grout trowel

I should point out, that theres only (2) poles holding up this desk,  One on each end.  I used 3" screws on the back side of the 2x4's ti attach the poles,  and then, because the base of the poles are tapered outward with a ring, I screwed the poles to the floor with 3" screws to make sure the poles cant get accidentally kicked out

Total cost for the desk: $250 (2 sheets of cabinet grade plywood: $100 2 gallons of GlazeCoat: $140, and 5, 10' long 2x4's $10)

Total time: about 4 days, after work.  maybe 16hrs total.