High CPU Clock While GPU Folding

Hi, so I've been transitioning to using only my GPU to fold since I can't bare to see my 8600K getting toasted through science, and I just so happen to notice that my CPU clocks are pegged to 4.6GHz even when it's not being utilised nor folding. This is leading to heat concerns as the CPU is hotter than I'd like. (Although this could be down to my GPU not having a backplate and thus spreading its heat all over the case)

hm.PNG.155bc0e5e8c3101421df882c6e6fcbb1.PNG

Is there a way I can limit my CPU clock to not peg itself to a 4.6GHz overclock?

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

36 minutes ago, seoz said:

Hi, so I've been transitioning to using only my GPU to fold since I can't bare to see my 8600K getting toasted through science, and I just so happen to notice that my CPU clocks are pegged to 4.6GHz even when it's not being utilised nor folding. This is leading to heat concerns as the CPU is hotter than I'd like. (Although this could be down to my GPU not having a backplate and thus spreading its heat all over the case)

hm.PNG.155bc0e5e8c3101421df882c6e6fcbb1.PNG

Is there a way I can limit my CPU clock to not peg itself to a 4.6GHz overclock?

It's only 47C, you have no need to be worried. Tbh most studies show heat has very little impact under like 90C. And even less when you think a CPUs usable lifespan is only maybe 10 years max. But, as for folding all the days for the folding process is held in system RAM and the CPU feeds it through at a constant rate. These are simply pings from the GPU and the data handed off. The CPU is doing very little work thus the low temps you see here.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

This is pretty normal for folding on a NVIDIA GPU :)

this has to do with how the commands are issued to the GPU. Like @Ben Quigleysaid the cpu is sort of doing nothing but is buisy moving stuff around. 

Extra Info: when you’re planing to fold with your CPU make sure to leave one core per Nvidea GPU free.

For AMD GPUs this is pretty different. Their GPU workers have a much lower CPU impact. 

This is because team green issues the commands via CUDA and AMD via OpenCL. 

When folding on multiple AMD GPUs it is mostly ok to leave one CPU core for all GPUs you have free 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

5 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

It's only 47C, you have no need to be worried. Tbh most studies show heat has very little impact under like 90C. And even less when you think a CPUs usable lifespan is only maybe 10 years max. But, as for folding all the days for the folding process is held in system RAM and the CPU feeds it through at a constant rate. These are simply pings from the GPU and the data handed off. The CPU is doing very little work thus the low temps you see here.

38 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

This is pretty normal for folding on a NVIDIA GPU :)

this has to do with how the commands are issued to the GPU. Like @Ben Quigleysaid the cpu is sort of doing nothing but is buisy moving stuff around. 

Ah okay, interesting stuff! I've learnt something new today!

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches