Will My 300W PSU Power a Radeon HD 7770?

Zackery Toler
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

It really depends on how much amperage the 12V rail is providing. But if it's at least 20A (or 240W of power), I don't see any real problems. Wiki claims the HD 7700's TDP is 80W so with a SATA power adapter plus PCIe power, that should be plenty.

I purchased a refurbished HP Pavillion last year for about $100. It’s rocking an i5-2400, 8GB RAM and a GT 710 (didn’t come with machine, was gifted to me by a friend). All of that is running off a 300W OEM PSU that I’ve no way of upgrading because for some inexplicable reason there is no 24-PIN on the motherboard. I’m planning on purchasing a Radeon HD 7770 (found a great deal) and was wondering if my PSU was up to the job. Also, I’ve no spare six pin connectors on the PSU but I’ve plenty of SATA cables. I saw this adapter that would provide me with a six pin in exchange for two SATA connectors. Will this work?

The machine’s primary purpose is gaming. It’s rarely at idle: I use other devices for my general computing needs.

Much thanks in advance!

Honestly, I'd lean towards not a chance myself....

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

It really depends on how much amperage the 12V rail is providing. But if it's at least 20A (or 240W of power), I don't see any real problems. Wiki claims the HD 7700's TDP is 80W so with a SATA power adapter plus PCIe power, that should be plenty.

Dang, I’ve just got 16A on the 12V rail. Don’t suppose 320W would make a difference? ? 

Anyways, thanks again for the help! Much appreciated.