Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

a nas or file server?

dogwitch

am will say am a newb on this all together.

what i am looking for is a nas or my guess a file server. to back up tb of data. the easy to use one to. the house is network with 1gb. so wire issue is already done.

it need to be simple of drag and drop into folder on desktop.

i will be using this for video,photography,maybe a media server and general back up.  i did have a old xp network machine...sadly the mobo is dying and un able to use it anymore. so all data is store on a few hd and some external

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |100tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower

24 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

am will say am a newb on this all together.

what i am looking for is a nas or my guess a file server. to back up tb of data. the easy to use one to. the house is network with 1gb. so wire issue is already done.

it need to be simple of drag and drop into folder on desktop.

i will be using this for video,photography,maybe a media server and general back up.  i did have a old xp network machine...sadly the mobo is dying and un able to use it anymore. so all data is store on a few hd and some external

NAS is kinda the same as file server. A file server is often thought about as FTP servers. While a normal computers only task can be to store files it's not really the ideal way.

NAS is a operative system made for file servers. While FTP server is a file transfer protocool.

If this is your first time looking into a NAS or file server i would recomend Synology, they have very good quallity products that can do most of the things you want. If you are more adventurous you can use FreeNAS that will require a little bit of study from your site to understand. But in the end it's all up to you how much you want to pay or how much time you are willing to put into this. And yes, you can only choose one of them, price/time.

ah ok. i played around a bit with with free nas. i did try open media vault but hit  3 nasty software breaking bugs in it.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |100tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower

27 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

ah ok. i played around a bit with with free nas. i did try open media vault but hit  3 nasty software breaking bugs in it.

Open Media Vault is unknown to me. But if you like FreeNAS that's a very good option, as i said above.

I don't really have much else to say, although you could check into reviews on Synology if that is an option for you. Self i don't use much NAS or file servers, i got an Unraid machine just because i like that i can use whatever drives i have laying around. But it's not very ideas for critical data. Anyways, i hope you find the solution that works best for you.

ah ok. yeah its for back up photo shoots of nature,convention ,family etc. and general data to. if that helps.

i mostly have all the content on 2 external atm.  spread out.  on 7 tb

7 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

ah ok. yeah its for back up photo shoots of nature,convention ,family etc. and general data to. if that helps.

i mostly have all the content on 2 external atm.  spread out.  on 7 tb

If you are planing on running something like Plex in your house (and even outside of your house aswell.) This will be possible with both FreeNAS and Synology. The only difference on the twy systems that are kinda major is that Synology is a pre-made box, and very easy to do set-up on etc.

FreeNAS is as it says in the name a Free NAS system. However you'll have to sort out hardware yourself. 

As always i will be careful with saying what i believe is the best solution as everyone have different needs. Hope the information i've given is helpful though. If you got more questions you can always ask :)

the media streaming wasa bonus. but overall its needs to be data back up first. i really dont like leaving all the data on 2 drives.

have you used synology before?

51 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

the media streaming wasa bonus. but overall its needs to be data back up first. i really dont like leaving all the data on 2 drives.

have you used synology before?

Personally i've not used Synology, but it's the most common NAS (Other than FreeNAS of course) that pops up on the top when ever you look into NAS stuff. So if i was to get a NAS it would be Synology or FreeNAS.

However, even with a NAS it's not a proper "backup" a NAS is purely for redundancy so if you leave the files on one NAS only it will not be a backup. If you had two NASes (preferably in different locations) it would be a backup. A NAS is simply an external drive with redundancy depending on the RAID you use.

4 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Open Media Vault is unknown to me.

Open Media Vault is probably your best bet as freenas is somewhat advanced.

A long time LTT viewer that signed up “7 minutes ago”.

Id suggest getting something from Synology. Simple, reliable, and easy to setup and use. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

ok.  i would look into them in sylogy one. if need be i will try to cobble some thing up at the mean time. till i can get money for one of those. i just built a 4k workstation and got a cisco 16 port switch. the latter was dirt cheap

to kev. i tried and found 3 software breaking bugs in their latest version . a network driver un installer,a user name/password corrupter and one  vanishing ip Lister

1 hour ago, dogwitch said:

tried and found 3 software breaking bugs in their latest version

You could either try another or install mdadm and webmin on Ubuntu?

27 minutes ago, kevdagoat said:

You could either try another or install mdadm and webmin on Ubuntu?

You mean Samba on Ubuntu? Webmin is just a control panel based on CGI perl scripting. It allows for easy management of Linux Servers. While it's a good option he could just as well have learned FreeNAS.

1 hour ago, AbsoluteFool said:

You mean Samba on Ubuntu?

Forgot to add samba ?

i am learning free nas slowly.  but trying to make sure   windows xp to 10 see its is more of a pain.

i will  try ubuntu with smaba