Is this surge protector overkill?

Hi, I want to buy this

https://www.tripplite.com/isobar-4-outlet-surge-protector-6-ft-cord-3300-joules-diagnostic-leds~ISOBAR4ULTRA

My PC has an 850 watt psu, and will be the only thing plugged into this surge protector for a while. 

The surge protector has 4 outlets.

My question is if in the meantime, having only one device plugged in is bad?

your pc doesn't use 850w so yeah any surge protector is fine. you'd have to run something heavy duty through it to trip it like a couple hair dryers or a lightning strike

10 minutes ago, emosun said:

your pc doesn't use 850w so yeah any surge protector is fine. you'd have to run something heavy dut through it to trip it like a could hair dryers or a lightning strike

Thanks. 

surge protector only protects electronics from lightning strike, you're probably fine if your utility line is buried underground(or your pc isnt connect to ethernet cables outside).

lightning stike is quite rare and more than often mains voltage could fluctuate that cause issues. if your place have power outtage issue, you'll need a ups, preferably with surge protection ones.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!