Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Need Help Understanding eGPU

(eGPU for a Macbook pro mid 2012 13" non-retina) I'm having a problem understanding what exactly is in a eGPU enclosure, for example is it just a PCI-E slot wired to a thunderbolt cable? 

My next question is this: an you just plug a external GPU that is compatible with a macbook if a PCI-E slot was wired to a thunderbolt cable and supplied with external power?

or is there some kind of proprietary circuitboard that does some kind of in-between management?

An eGPU is a graphics processor that resides outside of a computer. It is attached via a high-speed connection, such as Thunderbolt cable, which provides sufficient bandwidth to process graphics in real-time outside the computer.

Does that help?

Main And Only Build : CPU : Ryzen 5 1600x (OC to 4.2GHz), Cooler : Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 TT Premium Edition, Motherboard : Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, RAM : Trident Z RGB 16GB (2*8) 3000Mhz DDR4, GPU : Gigabyte Gaming GTX 1070 TI, PSU : EVGA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified, Storage : 250GB Samsung 860 Evo + 256GB SU800 + 2TB Seagate HDD.

^^ nailed it

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Btw your 2012 MacBook is not compatible with eGPUs since it runs on an older version of Thunderbolt. To use the new eGPU features you must be on a 2016 or newer MacBook Pro

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

1 hour ago, Maxisthemoose said:

An eGPU is a graphics processor that resides outside of a computer. It is attached via a high-speed connection, such as Thunderbolt cable, which provides sufficient bandwidth to process graphics in real-time outside the computer.

Does that help?

I'm very thankful for you help, and if you could indulge me a little more as i am still trying to learn, (I've had a macbook for the last 10 years of my life, meaning i'm out of touch with this stuff) so when you say "processor" your NOT meaning the graphics CARD correct? you are saying that there is a motherboard in the external case that does a lot of the processing before it reaches the Mac correct?

44 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Btw your 2012 MacBook is not compatible with eGPUs since it runs on an older version of Thunderbolt. To use the new eGPU features you must be on a 2016 or newer MacBook Pro

Thank you for your reply,    Arn't there enclosures out their that run on thunderbolt 1 and or 2, i know they are slower in transfer rates thunderbolt 1 being 10G/s, thunder2 being 20G/s, I thought that you can use a thunderbolt one but you would run into some bottlenecking due to the fact that thunder1 isn't fast enough, or is my understanding mistaken?

1 minute ago, themodmaster8 said:

Thank you for your reply,    Arn't there enclosures out their that run on thunderbolt 1 and or 2, i know they are slower in transfer rates thunderbolt 1 being 10G/s, thunder2 being 20G/s, I thought that you can use a thunderbolt one but you would run into some bottlenecking due to the fact that thunder1 isn't fast enough, or is my understanding mistaken?

Those enclosures exist, but Apple has ended their ability to work since macOS High Sierra. You would need to use a previous version for those older enclosures to work. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Those enclosures exist, but Apple has ended their ability to work since macOS High Sierra. You would need to use a previous version for those older enclosures to work. 

Thanks again for the help,  I'm very thankful, I posted this earlier and because I don't know to reply to multiple comments at once, so another poster said this \/ \/ \/  and it left me a little confused. and i was wondering if my interpretation below Max's is correct? 

1 hour ago, Maxisthemoose said:

"and if you could indulge me a little more as i am still trying to learn, (I've had a macbook for the last 10 years of my life, meaning i'm out of touch with this stuff) so when you say "processor" your NOT meaning the graphics CARD correct? you are saying that there is a motherboard in the external case that does a lot of the processing before it reaches the Mac correct?"

2 hours ago, themodmaster8 said:

Thanks again for the help,  I'm very thankful, I posted this earlier and because I don't know to reply to multiple comments at once, so another poster said this \/ \/ \/  and it left me a little confused. and i was wondering if my interpretation below Max's is correct? 

"and if you could indulge me a little more as i am still trying to learn, (I've had a macbook for the last 10 years of my life, meaning i'm out of touch with this stuff) so when you say "processor" your NOT meaning the graphics CARD correct? you are saying that there is a motherboard in the external case that does a lot of the processing before it reaches the Mac correct?"

In simplistic terms an egpu is a a graphics card hooked up through USB to a computer.

Though it may not help since this guy did this with Windows 10 ... it is basically a egpu -without the case:

In the case of "Processor".

It refers to BOTH:

CPU= Central Processing Unit

GPU= Graphics Processing Unit

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards