i9-9900K Delidding procedure

Hi,

So i am awaiting my i9 9900K (don't get it until November despite early pre-order), and I am a big fan of delidding, i delidded my i5-3570K and saw siginificant thermal benefits, was about to delid my i7-8700K but decided recently to wait it out and sell it to finance the i9 purchase. 

Debauer (de8auer?) showed 8 degrees lower average temperature, which from 90 to 82 degrees, is still a significant thermal gain. Thus I am considering delidding it.

But the i9 is soldered, i am experienced in delidding before, but is the procedure different for the i9?

and if so, how/what equipment is needed.

thanks in advance

Edited by SebastianEier
spelling

Der8auer shows you how to delid the 9900K in this video. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

In both the Gamers Nexus and Der8auer videos they use standard delidding tools. Der8auer notes that it is a bit tougher, and you may need to work it on one side, then work it from the other side, and go back and forth a bit to fully release the IHS.

Check out Der8auers video in which he shows the delidding process (Queued up to the right time for you)

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

• 1 month later...

dont forget the part that takes the most work and that is removing the remaining solder.  you have to take a razor and scrape the solder off.  its soft but still takes some time.  you might want to put some LM on the solder and let it set for a day and then scrape becaause LM is supposed to disolve solder a bit or at least weaken it.  then you need to sand down the specs of solder that you couldt just scrape off