My GPU Black screens

kumzrocks08
I have this issue with my grahics card, 2 days ago i updated my gtx 980ti drivers, and whilst in a middle of a pubg game , I black screened to a point that i had to physically restart the system.I tried launching pubg again ,thinking it was a one off issue as i had been playing pubg for about 3 hours at this point .but whenever i launched 4 seconds in it kept black screening.I tried to roll back the update,didnt solve the problem, I reseated the graphics card ran ddu and reinstalled old drivers,problem persisted. with the help of @joelrules I had changed the PCIE lane to the 8 bit one and Joel ran ddu and installed older drivers,the problem was somewhat remedied (i.e it ran furmark , ran Heaven benchmark longer before crashing again,ran pub till the lobby music was audible and crashed again) at the point I reseated the graphics card to the 16 bit lane and we reinstalled drivers ( after running ddu) the problem again improved but still crashed heaven and pubg (heaven 4 secounds in and pubg 6 seconds after loading) at this point we were baffled and concluded it is definatly the graphics card .So in a bid to find the underlining issue,I installed aoe 2 HD and ran it , it crashed 2 minutes in game,Using device manager ,I disabled the grahics card and ran again,the game didnt crash and I played it for an hour (with some frame drops but it is to be expected ) btw I won against AI incase you were wondering ,does this show that the gpu is definatly the problem ?

btw my grahics card is the gigabyte gtx 980ti gaming G1

cpu intel 6700k

MB: gigabyte z170 gaming 7

ram : hyperx fury ddr4 16b (2*8gb)

PSu: Rm650x

operating system : windows 10

any help will be much apretiated

I have the same problem but with a gtx 1050, started happening right after a driver update too, and going back told old drivers doesn't fix the problem.

I sent it to a shop, so far I have been told that the gpu is fine, so it could be a mobo issue in my case, which is is aids cus where am I going to get a z170 mobo now, will any of the newer motherboards backwards compatible?