First gaming pc build need advice

Kayht

Hi, i'm new in here and new in building a gaming high end PC so please don't be harsh on me :)

I may not be following the right procedure on writing/posting this kind of thread but i hope you get the idea.

4 days from now i'm going to buy all the parts that i need for my rig which is you'll find them below. So, umm i just need an advice whether the parts that i chosen is compatible and good enough to each other (like the PSU and such) and changes that needs to be done. I live in australia so the prices are different.

Here is the build for my PC:

CPU:  Intel I7-4930K LGA2011

Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB DDR3 1600

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 or NZXTx60 ( which one is better? and will they fit in corsair 750d?)

Storage:  Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB

Storage:   Western Digital Red WD30EFRX 3TB (X2)

Video Card: Galaxy GTX780TI 3GB GPU (2 way sli) 

Case: Corsair 750D 

Power Supply:   850W Corsair RM-850 ATX PSU or AX 860i (which one is better?)

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm  Fan (X5)

Thank you for your time reading this thread. Cheers!

Hi and Welcome to the LTT Forum @Kayht I'm Kingsley and I'd like to think for gaming you don't really need 2011, I'm gonna say this but I'm clearly a hypocrite since I want a 2011 pc, you really are spending more money than necessary.

Haswell is pretty much better since your not paying $150 dollars more for a 4930K. 4770K retails around £250 and 4930K is £400-£450 (rough estimation).

Though the new Ivy-bridge cpu allow you to have less wattage, 40 pcie lanes gen 3.0 so you can have 16x 16x for dual card configurations its really not necessary.

Gaming is mainly about the visual performance of graphics card rather than having a 6 core processor that may not even outright use it to all its might.

Sure if you want pure graphics performance your fine with 2 780 ti's in SLI but buy a descent quality monitor supposedly a G-Sync 2560*1440p monitor in Q2 of 2014.

All the components fit fine but its really not worth your money.

... sorry that was kinda harsh so I'll just leave it as this.

Spend your money carefully as 2011 isn't very optimized for gaming as its new intended function and purpose is for high end work UHD video editing etc.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I would stick with a 4770K at the maximum myself, that's a lot of cash you're putting in for VERY little improvement in gaming performance.

As for the CPU cooler, the 750D is more than capable of mounting a rad or two.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Do you have a reason for needing/wanting LGA 2011?  If you don't have an actual need for it, I would highly encourage you to go with the more mainstream 4770k.  The reason for this is that this if your first build, you want to be able to google problems you have, that means getting a mobo/cpu combo that more people have.  Going with 2011, you have fewer people who have it, so it can be harder to find the solution to your problem, as fewer people have seen it.  If you run in to problems you likely will be happier with something that more people, especially those at your level of tech, have so that you have a better base to ask questions/google questions.

Beyond that. . . . get a better power supply.  You need more a higher watt one for your purposes.  That one I may work, but you would be leaving no room overhead room, you would be running it near max all the time and may have issues upgrading. 

The i on the Corsair power supplies mean they have Corsair Link or is compatible with it and digital monitoring of the PSU.

Intel Core i5 2400 - Corsair Vengeance 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24 - four strips) - ASUS P8Z68-V LE - GeForce GTX 660 Ti (MSI Power Edition) - 60GB Corsair Force 3 Boot drive with 2.5TB in a random nightmare of a configuration

Hi and Welcome to the LTT Forum @Kayht I'm Kingsley and I'd like to think for gaming you don't really need 2011, I'm gonna say this but I'm clearly a hypocrite since I want a 2011 pc, you really are spending more money than necessary.

Haswell is pretty much better since your not paying $150 dollars more for a 4930K. 4770K retails around £250 and 4930K is £400-£450 (rough estimation).

Though the new Ivy-bridge cpu allow you to have less wattage, 40 pcie lanes gen 3.0 so you can have 16x 16x for dual card configurations its really not necessary.

Gaming is mainly about the visual performance of graphics card rather than having a 6 core processor that may not even outright use it to all its might.

Sure if you want pure graphics performance your fine with 2 780 ti's in SLI but buy a descent quality monitor supposedly a G-Sync 2560*1440p monitor in Q2 of 2014.

All the components fit fine but its really not worth your money.

... sorry that was kinda harsh so I'll just leave it as this.

Spend your money carefully as 2011 isn't very optimized for gaming as its new intended function and purpose is for high end work UHD video editing etc.

Thank you for replying and welcoming me to this forum appreciate much. It's ok it's not that harsh that's what i really need a constructive criticism or very well'd advice i should say and  i gave it a thought about what you said on 4930k vs 4770k and i did search for some reviews about it and no doubt you are right and i think it's really a waste of money going for 2011 knowing that i'm not doing any video editing or some kind of stuff well i actually do but not that intense or not all the time my main goal is to play games in high settings as much as possible. yes, i'll definitely buy that G-Sync monitors when available.  I have a question if it doesn't take much of you time. read them below:

1) Since im going for haswell. which motherboard is better Maximus VI extreme or Maximus VI formula?(kinda want that formula coz of the look don't know yet how powerful it is)

Thank you for your time! 

I would stick with a 4770K at the maximum myself, that's a lot of cash you're putting in for VERY little improvement in gaming performance.

As for the CPU cooler, the 750D is more than capable of mounting a rad or two.

Thank you for reply on my thread appreciate it alot.

Yea did another research and watch some reviews and found out that 4770k has about same performance as 4930k . i think im going for haswell and for the case i'll be sticking on 750D :)

Thank you for reply on my thread appreciate it alot.

Yea did another research and watch some reviews and found out that 4770k has about same performance as 4930k . i think im going for haswell and for the case i'll be sticking on 750D :)

Awesome, good luck with the build mate :)

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Do you have a reason for needing/wanting LGA 2011?  If you don't have an actual need for it, I would highly encourage you to go with the more mainstream 4770k.  The reason for this is that this if your first build, you want to be able to google problems you have, that means getting a mobo/cpu combo that more people have.  Going with 2011, you have fewer people who have it, so it can be harder to find the solution to your problem, as fewer people have seen it.  If you run in to problems you likely will be happier with something that more people, especially those at your level of tech, have so that you have a better base to ask questions/google questions.

Beyond that. . . . get a better power supply.  You need more a higher watt one for your purposes.  That one I may work, but you would be leaving no room overhead room, you would be running it near max all the time and may have issues upgrading. 

The i on the Corsair power supplies mean they have Corsair Link or is compatible with it and digital monitoring of the PSU.

Thank you for your reply there's nothing much reason on choosing LGA 2011 i just thought it was better than the other CPU. 4770k sure is as i read and watch some reviews. 

About the PSU should i go with AX1200i instead? 

Thank you for your reply there's nothing much reason on choosing LGA 2011 i just thought it was better than the other CPU. 4770k sure is as i read and watch some reviews. 

Eh, if you plan to do a lot of overclocking then go for like a 1000W PSU, but honestly 850W is pretty solid for that build.

It is arguably "better" but part of what makes it better are features that really only improve performance in certain situations.  It is a case of a better product not always resulting in a noticeable better experience/final product.   There is nothing wrong with going that route, many people do.  You just may find you are happier with a system you can more easily troubleshoot.

As for PSU, i can not comment on the i series as I really do not know enough about Corsair Link or its applications to form an opinion.  1200 watts would be plenty including enough if you ever want to toss in third video card.  Personally, I feel like enough power to support another video card is a decent buffer amount for a system to have room to grow.  It looks like your system is on its own taking almost 800 watts and a third card pushes it a little over 1k.

Intel Core i5 2400 - Corsair Vengeance 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24 - four strips) - ASUS P8Z68-V LE - GeForce GTX 660 Ti (MSI Power Edition) - 60GB Corsair Force 3 Boot drive with 2.5TB in a random nightmare of a configuration

Eh, if you plan to do a lot of overclocking then go for like a 1000W PSU, but honestly 850W is pretty solid for that build.

Yea im overclocking the CPU. i think 850W should be fine, hehe

It is arguably "better" but part of what makes it better are features that really only improve performance in certain situations.  It is a case of a better product not always resulting in a noticeable better experience/final product.   There is nothing wrong with going that route, many people do.  You just may find you are happier with a system you can more easily troubleshoot.

As for PSU, i can not comment on the i series as I really do not know enough about Corsair Link or its applications to form an opinion.  1200 watts would be plenty including enough if you ever want to toss in third video card.  Personally, I feel like enough power to support another video card is a decent buffer amount for a system to have room to grow.  It looks like your system is on its own taking almost 800 watts and a third card pushes it a little over 1k.

Thanks yea still thinking for 3rd GPU in the future so pretty much trying to make a future proof system but i feel like i don't really need 3 GPU but yea i get the idea thanks for advice mate. just a question about haswell mobo which one do you prefer or recommended? Maximus VI extreme or Maximus VI formula? like the looks of formula VI but don't know how good it is but some of it's features looks great.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thanks yea still thinking for 3rd GPU in the future so pretty much trying to make a future proof system but i feel like i don't really need 3 GPU but yea i get the idea thanks for advice mate. just a question about haswell mobo which one do you prefer or recommended? Maximus VI extreme or Maximus VI formula? like the looks of formula VI but don't know how good it is but some of it's features looks great.

I really don't have any personal experience with these mobos so others would be of more use to you for opinions, I am more a research person.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 or NZXTx60 ( which one is better? and will they fit in corsair 750d?)

According to http://www.anandtech.com/show/6716/closing-the-loop-ii-new-liquid-coolers-from-corsair-and-swiftech/4 the cooling performance is nearly identical. Acoustic performance depends a great deal on how they are configured, check the link.

The 750D should be able to accommodate either cooler.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I really don't have any personal experience with these mobos so others would be of more use to you for opinions, I am more a research person.

I see, i'll do a bit of research too before i get my mobo. thanks for your help and with the other awesome member in here appreciate it alot!

According to http://www.anandtech.com/show/6716/closing-the-loop-ii-new-liquid-coolers-from-corsair-and-swiftech/4 the cooling performance is nearly identical. Acoustic performance depends a great deal on how they are configured, check the link.

The 750D should be able to accommodate either cooler.

Sweet thanks man for the link and that helps me alot.