Hardware recomendations please

Hi. Looking to replace my server (i7 860s h55m-ud2h) with something that supports full virtualization and device passthrough. Looking for cheap hardware, I cant afford to buy new. Lots of old server grade stuff on ebay but not really sure what to look for. It doesnt need to be super high end as I am happy with my current hardware... It just doesnt support full virtualization (freenas needs "UG" support). Better is of course better though. Looking to spend £200-300 $260-360 €230-330. Not set in stone but gives you an idea of what I have been looking at on ebay.

I am running freenas right now. I will play with the unsupported device pass through methods in bhyve before switching to esxi and running freenas and linux as vms.

Any suggestions?

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Most Core processors support VT-x and VT-d (the latter is of most importance here) as long as they're not K SKUs. Celerons, Pentiums and i3s even support unbuffered ECC memory.

If you really want to keep it cheap, grab a H61 or B75 board with a Xeon E3 1230 or 1230v2. You're looking at $40-50 for a board and $100 for the CPU. You can keep your memory.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, Chris230291 said:

Any suggestions?

If you want device passthrough you want gear that supports IOMMU.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Ye I wanted to add a budget but this is the internet, lots of currencies and market prices. £200-300 $260-360 €230-330 for cpu board and maybe ram too.

Ye I belive IOMMU is vt-d on intel system

Thanks @NelizMastr those xeons are even suggested on the freenas forums. I think my budget should be able to stretch a little better though?

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.