Old pc need repair

lior1111

Hello, 

I need your help, 

Im trying to fix an old pc for a teacher that has 0 idea about computers. 

The pc wont turn on, its probably a psu issue. I want to replace the psu but the thing is that she has no clue about the model of the pc / motherboard and neither do i. And it looks like a prebuilt.

It doesn't even say anywhere on the case whether its a dell or an hp pc.. No clue. 

Anyway, so if i want to replace the psu, how am i gonna do the wiring? Front panel wiring is gonna be like a guessing game right? Any ideas? 

Thank you. 

If it's a PSU problem, just buy another PSU provided the case doesn't need some wonky proprietary design.

What happens when you try to power on?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

20 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

Hello, 

I need your help, 

Im trying to fix an old pc for a teacher that has 0 idea about computers. 

The pc wont turn on, its probably a psu issue. I want to replace the psu but the thing is that she has no clue about the model of the pc / motherboard and neither do i. And it looks like a prebuilt.

It doesn't even say anywhere on the case whether its a dell or an hp pc.. No clue. 

Anyway, so if i want to replace the psu, how am i gonna do the wiring? Front panel wiring is gonna be like a guessing game right? Any ideas? 

Thank you. 

Take the side panel off the system, post a full, clear, pic of the motherboard here, and we can help.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

34 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

Anyway, so if i want to replace the psu, how am i gonna do the wiring? Front panel wiring is gonna be like a guessing game right

Don't touch front panel. Those are connected to the motherboard and not the PSU. Also, are you certain the problem is the power supply? There could be any number of issues.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Take the side panel off the system, post a full, clear, pic of the motherboard here, and we can help.

Alright, i will when i can

52 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Don't touch front panel. Those are connected to the motherboard and not the PSU. Also, are you certain the problem is the power supply? There could be any number of issues.

Pretty sure man, the pc just doesnt show any signs of life and electricity. 

1 minute ago, lior1111 said:

Alright, i will when i can

Pretty sure man, the pc just doesnt show any signs of life and electricity. 

Could still be the motherboard. If front panel power button doesn't do anything, the system won't try to power on.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

On 10/17/2018 at 6:57 PM, fasauceome said:

On 10/17/2018 at 6:43 PM, Radium_Angel said:

There you go. Sorry it took me a while

20181024_162546.jpg

14 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

20181024_162546.jpg

That's a blurry shot, but as near as I can tell, it's a standard micro-ATX board with a 4pin CPU power plug and a standard 24pin for main power. Any modern power supply will have those connectors. Don't touch anything else but the power plugs going into the board, and you'll find out quickly if it's the PS or something else.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, lior1111 said:

The motherboard may still be to blame, so if you have a loaner power supply, I'd recommend testing that. You can also just check the connections to the components from the PSU.

Primary PC: