Using Ethernet for Steam link to PC connection but wireless for pc

kevinisbeast707

So currently I'm using a steam link connected to a projector to stream games from my PC which is on the other side of the room. I am one room over from our router and everything in the chain is connected via 5ghz but I fairly frequently get stutter based on wifi disturbances. My question is could I use Ethernet cables attached to both my steam link and PC with an old router in the middle that would be acting only as a switch to connect my link while also using WiFi to get actual internet to my PC? I know I could get an HDMI cable around 50ft that should work but I already have the Ethernet cables and I'm inclined to go that way based on cheapness to me.

8 minutes ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

So currently I'm using a steam link connected to a projector to stream games from my PC which is on the other side of the room. I am one room over from our router and everything in the chain is connected via 5ghz but I fairly frequently get stutter based on wifi disturbances. My question is could I use Ethernet cables attached to both my steam link and PC with an old router in the middle that would be acting only as a switch to connect my link while also using WiFi to get actual internet to my PC? I know I could get an HDMI cable around 50ft that should work but I already have the Ethernet cables and I'm inclined to go that way based on cheapness to me.

Depending on your old router you may be able to use it as a wireless access point.  The old router would connect the the new one by wifi and your PC and Steam link would connect to the old router by ethernet.  (Your PC would then not be connected to the new router by wifi anymore, but would have internet by ethernet and then wifi between the routers.)

Not all routers can be set up to do this, so you'll have to do some digging.

Gotcha that makes sense. It's an older Netgear something or other that does abgn at 300mbps but I'll give it a shot when I get home. I like the idea. ?

Theoretically just connecting the ethernet cable between them and setting static IP addresses (to a different range than your LAN) should work.  Most PC network cards will detect you are connecting two NICs directly and switch into crossover mode.

This depends if the Steamlink needs Internet access or not.  I'd hope it only needs it for firmware updates.  But even if it does, it might work just using Windows Internet connection sharing function.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

13 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Theoretically just connecting the ethernet cable between them and setting static IP addresses (to a different range than your LAN) should work.  Most PC network cards will detect you are connecting two NICs directly and switch into crossover mode.

This depends if the Steamlink needs Internet access or not.  I'd hope it only needs it for firmware updates.  But even if it does, it might work just using Windows Internet connection sharing function.

Even better than that I just connected the router to both items and disabled wireless on the router and it just works which is great. Thank you to everyone who answered!