Problems installing Linux on Pixelbook...The Linux container didn't start

Go to solution Solved by 0x21,

It appears to be some sort of network issue.

Can you go to chrome://net-internals/#dns and clear the cache, restart and try again.

I'm a Linux n00b but I had been using the Linux container for a while. I put my Pixelbook into Developer Mode to do some adb stuff and after putting it into Developer Mode the Terminal app and Linux was no longer working so I reverted back to Verified OS mode and powerwashed several times, but I still get the same error every time after trying to re-install Linux. Does anyone have any ideas for a fix for this? Thanks

Regards,

Ben Cooper,

CEO

1. Open up crosh with ctrl+shift+t
  2. vmc stop termina
  3. vmc destroy termina
  4. vmc start termina
  5. run_container.sh --container_name=penguin --user=USERNAME --shell

Note that this will completely erase your container. Ensure that USERNAME is the username of the google account you use to login, that is everything before the @.

58 minutes ago, mshaugh said:
  1. Open up crosh with ctrl+shift+t
  2. vmc stop termina
  3. vmc destroy termina
  4. vmc start termina
  5. run_container.sh --container_name=penguin --user=USERNAME --shell

Note that this will completely erase your container. Ensure that USERNAME is the username of the google account you use to login, that is everything before the @.

Pictures of the error I get:

Screenshot 2018-10-16 at 15.07.48 - Display 1.png

Screenshot 2018-10-16 at 15.07.41 - Display 1.png

Regards,

Ben Cooper,

CEO

Username without any dots, in your case --user=benfcooper

Also, note the double dashes: run_container.sh --container_name=penguin --user=benfcooper --shell

The --shell isn't strictly necessary, but will prompt a log in for the container. You can omit if you wish, and then exit from crosh and launch via the terminal app.

11 minutes ago, mshaugh said:

Username without any dots, in your case --user=benfcooper

Also, note the double dashes: run_container.sh --container_name=penguin --user=benfcooper --shell

The --shell isn't strictly necessary, but will prompt a log in for the container. You can omit if you wish, and then exit from crosh and launch via the terminal app.

Haha, on my phone it looked like a single dash sorry! I still get a similar error after correcting, is there still something i'm doing wrong?

Screenshot 2018-10-16 at 17.37.19 - Display 1.png

Regards,

Ben Cooper,

CEO

I can't see the entire error message, but go to Settings > Wi-Fi (or Ethernet) > Network connected to > Network

Under name servers select the Google name servers, and then try again.

I see no reason why you couldn't just attach to the vm and try creating the container, but it's probably best if you go from the start and stop, destroy, start the vm.

16 minutes ago, mshaugh said:

I can't see the entire error message, but go to Settings > Wi-Fi (or Ethernet) > Network connected to > Network

Under name servers select the Google name servers, and then try again.

After changing the servers: btw I really appreciate the help kind soul!

Screenshot 2018-10-16 at 18.38.07 - Display 1.png

Regards,

Ben Cooper,

CEO

Can you go to chrome://net-internals/#dns and clear the cache, restart and try again.

2 hours ago, mshaugh said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! It seems to be working now, I believe it may have been a network issue, either your step above or the fact I was connected to the uni wifi/ethernet it didn't like, I got to the prompt and was able to install Linux applications, however the terminal app is not on the device, do you know why this may be/how I could get it back? Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it man ❤️

Regards,

Ben Cooper,

CEO