Tips/advice for most of the lists on this forum

minervx

It's easier to make one post than to respond to 100 threads and basically say all of the same points for each of them.

1) AMD > Intel right now, especially with Intel's recent price hike.

2) If going for Ryzen, get B-Die RAM.  If on a limited budget, start with 8 GB RAM first.

3) SSD is essential.  250 GB is an optimal size at the moment.   120 will fill up too quickly.

4) Focus on getting the best CPU/GPU for your needs that you can afford before worrying about premium cooling solutions

5) If you care about aesthetics, tempered glass is so much better than acrylic.  Worth the extra $20-30.

7) Since 2 and 3 TB hard drives are only a little bit more money, it doesn't make sense to get a 1 TB.

8 )  If you care about silence, get fans with the PWM feature

9)  If your case can fit it, get a video card with 2-3 fans for better cooling and more silence.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

4 minutes ago, minervx said:

Are you sure ? what about the used market ?

4) Focus on getting the best CPU/GPU you can before worrying about premium cooling solutions

But what if I got a threadripper2 cpu ? 

? If you care about silence, get fans with the PWM feature

Most fans are pwm nowadays. and this is not how you tell a quiet fan from a loud one.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

Are you sure ? what about the used market ?

4) Focus on getting the best CPU/GPU you can before worrying about premium cooling solutions

But what if I got a threadripper2 cpu ? 

Most people who are new to system building do not want a used processor for their first build, and if you're getting a threadripper, then I highly doubt its a tight budget

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

2 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

Most people who are new to system building do not want a used processor for their first build, and if you're getting a threadripper, then I highly doubt its a tight budget

you'd be surprised, x2.

Most people iv met building their first system were pretty low on budget and went with 80% used computers. because its very much worth it for the money value.

for the cpu.. yo're not nessesarly mentionning new builders in the op... so kinda general..

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

you'd be surprised, x2.

Most people iv met building their first system were pretty low on budget and went with 80% used computers. because its very much worth it for the money value.

Well, most people I've met would rather choose a new so agree to disagree 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

11 minutes ago, minervx said:

2) If going for Ryzen, get B-Die RAM.  If on a limited budget, start with 8 GB RAM first.

3) SSD is essential.  250 GB is an optimal size at the moment.   120 will fill up too quickly.

5) If you care about aesthetics, tempered glass is so much better than acrylic.  Worth the extra $20-30.

7) Since 2 and 3 TB hard drives are only a little bit more money, it doesn't make sense to get a 1 TB.

8 )  If you care about silence, get fans with the PWM feature

Some of these points can not be applied to all situations for where a system needs to be made as some for example may need to have better thermal performance than computational performance and sometimes the difference between a 1TB and a 2TB can be a lot of money and maybe some builds do not need much SSD storage or even an SSD at all. In conclusion, these points can not be held useful/applicable for all situations for system configurations although potentially some.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Of course, PWM fans are not inherently more silent than non-PWM fans.  Most of it comes down to a tradeoff between RPM and silence.  However, PWM does allow for a greater degree of control which results in a build being able to be silent while also able to run at full speed when needed. 

12 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

sometimes the difference between a 1TB and a 2TB can be a lot of money 

The difference is $10.

And honestly, most of the build lists I see go premium on lots of things that may not even be relevant to their use case or offer diminished returns.

With SSD's, even if you are cautious and don't store a lot of files, it will accumulate.  Windows is full of bloatware.

I'm not saying go overkill on storage, but I wouldn't go super low either, unless we're talking about an overall low budget build.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage