Best Retro Computer For A Beginner

G'day all,

I've been very interested in vintage/retro computing over the last couple months and have been seriously considering buying one just to tinker around with it and learn. I'm talking 70s/80s era.

Which computer would be best for a beginner such as myself to learn? Would something like an Apple IIe be a good choice?

apple systems can be expensive, i'd recommend a commodore 64. there's plenty of them about and a lot of software and games where made them. i would prob also recommend an sd2iec SD drive emulator. old disk drive are unreliable and tape drives are slow, having a way to get software onto the system without needing to use them is always a plus.

I would personally just check your local thrift and pawn shops until you find something. If you look for a few months you should find something fun.

There are pretty good emulators out if you just want to mess around.

That being said my first experience was on an apple IIe and a series of laminated books for beginners. Played with one a year or two back and wasn't near as magical as I remembered.

On 10/13/2018 at 2:05 PM, SuperCloneRanger said:

apple systems can be expensive, i'd recommend a commodore 64. there's plenty of them about and a lot of software and games where made them. i would prob also recommend an sd2iec SD drive emulator. old disk drive are unreliable and tape drives are slow, having a way to get software onto the system without needing to use them is always a plus.

I'd be willing to spend a little cash here and there, it's not really a problem. All I'd really want is an easy system to learn on.   

2 hours ago, markr54632 said:

I would personally just check your local thrift and pawn shops until you find something. If you look for a few months you should find something fun.

There are pretty good emulators out if you just want to mess around.

That being said my first experience was on an apple IIe and a series of laminated books for beginners. Played with one a year or two back and wasn't near as magical as I remembered.

I'm not really interested in emulators, I'd very much like to have the computer itself as I feel that's a big part of the experience at least for myself. But thanks for the info!

22 minutes ago, Veetez97 said:

I'd be willing to spend a little cash here and there, it's not really a problem. All I'd really want is an easy system to learn on.   

When you say you want to learn, do you mean BASIC? or an early version of DOS?

1 minute ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

When you say you want to learn, do you mean BASIC? or an early version of DOS?

Yeah I should've clarified, my bad. I mean to learn BASIC.

They all run a dialect of basic. One is not easier than another really. If you want reviews on each machine check out the 8-bit guy on youtube and lazy game reviews (lgr). Both have excellent reviews for vintage computers.

Edit: your response didnt pop up. Really try to find something local that you can power test if possible. And like said above use an sd or compact flash adapter for storage.

56 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

They all run a dialect of basic. One is not easier than another really. If you want reviews on each machine check out the 8-bit guy on youtube and lazy game reviews (lgr). Both have excellent reviews for vintage computers.

Edit: your response didnt pop up. Really try to find something local that you can power test if possible. And like said above use an sd or compact flash adapter for storage.

I have been looking at a few of their videos and they're really great. I guess I'll see what I can salvage at any op shops around the place. Though, what system would you recommend personally?

10 PRINT "Hello World!!"

20 GOTO 10

RUN

Good choice, i love playing around in basic and there's no shortage of choice when it comes to home computers that run basic.

Most home computers where designed to use a tv over RF(aerial lead), some came with the ability to use higher quality outputs like composite, s video, component etc. and some where able to use a monitor, most of the time via a proprietary connector only used by that manufacturers computers. Unless you plan on also getting a compatible monitor i suggest you get a system that has at least a composite output, RF looks like garbage on a modern tv. I would also chose a system that was/is popular and has a large community around it, that way help and spare parts aren't hard to find.

Like i said above my recommendation is the C64, but i had one as i kid(and currently own 2) so i may be a little biased. it has both composite and s video* output and spare parts/accessories(old and modern) are cheap and easy to find. And being the most popular computer in history means there's plenty of help out there, with websites and forums dedicated to it. 

if you go for the c64 i do recommend an SD drive emulator, they make getting and loading software a lot easier.

*the C64 came in 2 versions, there's one that has a 5 pin video out and one that's 8 pin. the 5 pin is composite only while the 8 pin is composite and s video, if you have the choice i would definitely get the 8 pin, having 2 output options is always preferable. 

EDIT: Actually no matter what system you get i recommend an sd drive emulator.

They make kits now. 

There are also some replica Commodore 64.