GPU operating below base clock when under load

NaysWindu

Hi guys. I'm back with another issue

Recently, I have felt like my frame rates in games have been problematic. Some games have stuttery fps, others require me to run at low settings when I used to run at high. I decided to look into it, and upon checking EVGA Precision, it looked as if my clock rates were a bit low. I ran furmark, and checked, and saw that my gpu was barely boosting up and past to the base clock. Images attached below. If anyone can help diagnose this, that'd be fantastic :). I have provided a link to the spec sheet of my gpu, for reference vs my actual clocks.

https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=63d27a41-4ac9-49f6-9fd2-757596181cff

System specs:

Intel i7 4770

Nvidia GTX 970 EVGA FTW

Gigabyte GA-z87-HD3

Running with 2 HDD's and a 240GB SATA SSD

Corsair AX 860

If there are any specs missed that are important, let me know and I'll edit them in.

Photo of low clocks, at default on card, and then when overclocked. As of me taking these screenshots, it was doing a little better, but still well under the advertised boost clock. I rate 3.5/4:

image.png.e9fe84fa574118093f1556ea36cd82e0.png

image.png.f7a1d0fba7712016d526606fd6f69b76.png

yikes

WOAH Just had a huge improvement when I changed the priority tab to temp over power in EVGA Precision. Maybe that was the issue? I'll report back if the issue persists

yikes

GPU boost is designed to opearte on temperature and supass power target as long as temps are in check. I have never ever used a power target focuses config so i have never experience this.

IN both of your screenshots the Furmark overlay repots that your card is already exceeding your defined power envelop by 1%. That is your issue.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Well here it is full default now, still with the slider there. The card seems to be boosting up, but look at the frame rates. Almost half of what they were in the original screenshots (same stress test). No idea why. Had this new framerate reduction issue regardless of temp or power focus. CPU was not under load.EDIT: Furmark does say 4x MSAA instead of 2x. trying to fix now. It wouldn't let me change it.

image.png

yikes

Increase your power target and temp target. Even my GTX 970 power throttles at stock speeds.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

Increase your power target and temp target. Even my GTX 970 power throttles at stock speeds.

You'll notice that the temps are still well below targets. Throttling isn't an issue.

yikes

8 hours ago, NaysWindu said:

You'll notice that the temps are still well below targets. Throttling isn't an issue.

But you still need to max out the power limit, and increase the temp limit.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

On 10/13/2018 at 5:48 AM, r2724r16 said:

But you still need to max out the power limit, and increase the temp limit.

I did this in the original screenshots? And this still doesn't address the original problem

yikes