Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chasing random intermittent shutdowns

thisforumsucksassdeletemya

The past few weeks my computer has randomly been turning off once or twice a day, maybe occasionally 3 times. Nothing seems to initiate it. It happens when I'm doing things and also when there's basically nothing open and I'm sitting across the room from it. It's not the power supply, already swapped that out. It is NOT OC settings, still does it at complete stock (even after updating BIOS), and after I ruled that out I even bumped it down a notch from where I had it.

My biggest clues are: no Windows Event Viewer events logged that would have anything to do with this. There's sometimes a few service errors for some program (can't recall which) within the minute or two before shutdown but those seem to happen randomly throughout the day, not just around shutdown. Probably related to me forcibly disabling Windows Update.

And also, the way it shuts down is very odd, in my opinion. Screen goes black and at the same time I can hear the hard drive's head crashing or whatever they do now when power is cut. Sound output immediately stops with no weird buzzing or noise before cutting out. But then, the lights and fans stay on, same speed they were at just prior to shutdown, for several seconds (around 4 or 5 seconds is my best guess), then the whole computer shuts off.

It immediately starts back up (not on its own; after I press the button) with zero drama every time. No warnings to repair Windows or anything.

I'm not sure what to make of all of this. I'm dreading the only thing that I would be able to do is replacing other core components like the motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc. or have to refresh/reinstall W10 for the second time this year.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

It's probably hardware problem, but it's strange that Event Viewer don't show anything. Reinstalling Windows is pointless in this case, since you don't know what is wrong (if it's hardware and your computer tuns off because of that, you may have the same problems with install too). As alternative you can install Windows on second drive so you can test it and don't must to reinstall programs if the same problem will be on your second drive installation. But - I recommend to use AdwCleaner first, then Autoruns to check what programs and tools starts with Windows and disable suspicious or unnecessary ones. Also - disable CPU OC and X.M.P. for tests will be good idea. If that happens few times a day, it will be easy to check if this is a problem.

If you press reset on your PC while system is running, most of cases you'll not notice any repair warnings. Your system will load the same as you close your Windows normally. Check buttons on your case - not a big probability, bu maybe it's related to your power/reset buttons that works bad.

I suppose just taking everything apart, cleaning contacts, then putting it back together is a good place to start. Time consuming but free. It is a dusty environment, and I try to keep it clean but there's some dust you really can't get off without literally taking it apart and lightly brushing things. Could maybe work its way into contacts and cause an apparent hardware failure.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`