Chassis Fan Question

Hi P
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

I recommend 200mm since it will produce less noise and the difference in temps will be negligible.

To use as Top Exhaust, is there a noticeable difference between:

- 1x 200mm

- 2x 140mm

Would the 140mm option be far better or nearly the same as 200mm in that placement?

Thank you

I recommend 200mm since it will produce less noise and the difference in temps will be negligible.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, seoz said:

Out of curiousity, what case allows you to have the options of a single 200mm or dual 140mm?

It's the H500 from CoolerMaster

3 minutes ago, Hi P said:

It's the H500 from CoolerMaster

The H500 doesn't support a 200mm top exhaust, only the front which can support 2x 200mm. The top takes 2x 140mm or 3x 120mm, not a 200mm.

In any case, 2x 140mm is better for the top.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

1 hour ago, seoz said:

The H500 doesn't support a 200mm top exhaust.

Oh wait you are right, fk

@seoz Do only PWM fans can be set to exhaust?

Are non-PWM are intake only?

3 minutes ago, Hi P said:

Non-PWM are made for any setup, the only difference between PWM and non-PWM is that you cannot set the speed on non-PWM.

Your exhaust can be either and it will be fine.

50 minutes ago, Hi P said:

All fans have a side for intake and a side for exhaust. PWM and DC are different ways to power a fan which has nothing to do with intake / exhaust. PWM modulates voltage in 12v pulses to power a fan and regulate RPM whereas DC uses variable voltage for a similar result. The benefit to PWM is that it can mitigate the problem of not having enough startup voltage and allow for lower RPM but can also introduce a ticking noise due to the nature of how power is delivered.

What are your specs? The stock H500 fans should be plenty of cooling for most system configurations. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, seoz said:

Your exhaust can be either and it will be fine.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What are your specs? The stock H500 fans should be plenty of cooling for most system configurations. 

I haven't bought anything yet, but was thinking on using the H500 with a 200mm at the top so I don't have to buy a splitter (because I would run out of connectors)

@seoz Why can't I put a 200mm as a top exhaust on the CoolerMaster H500? the website says top 200mm is supported :(

1 minute ago, Hi P said:

@seoz Why can't I put a 200mm as a top exhaust on the CoolerMaster H500? the website says top 200mm is supported :(

What website? There is no physical way a Cooler Master H500 supports a 200mm up top, I guarantee you it's only the fronts.

1 hour ago, seoz said:

What website? There is no physical way a Cooler Master H500 supports a 200mm up top, I guarantee you it's only the fronts.

There are holes at the top for a 200mm fan.

537394369a8eee34ca08d02a91f9d544.png

1 hour ago, Hi P said:

I haven't bought anything yet, but was thinking on using the H500 with a 200mm at the top so I don't have to buy a splitter (because I would run out of connectors)

Did you mean moving the front 200mm to the top or adding another one? You could just leave the top mounts empty instead.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

42 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Did you mean moving the front 200mm to the top or adding another one? You could just leave the top mounts empty instead.

Adding, it's just 20 - 25 bucks I think so I might aswell :D