Major FPS drop RX 580

Hman1250

I've been having some recent fps drops on heavier games recently. I have a core i5 8400 and an rx 580 4gb and generally have about 144fps+ on esports game and fortnite maxed out and about 80-90fps on 1080p ultra on newer and heavier games. However now when I play my heavier games and fortnite, the fps is very low around 20-30 and I have to lower the resolution and settings to low. I've tried restarting my computer and even uninstalling/reinstalling my driver, in which that temporarily fixed it. Any help?

3 minutes ago, Hman1250 said:

I've been having some recent fps drops on heavier games recently. I have a core i5 8400 and an rx 580 4gb and generally have about 144fps+ on esports game and fortnite maxed out and about 80-90fps on 1080p ultra on newer and heavier games. However now when I play my heavier games and fortnite, the fps is very low around 20-30 and I have to lower the resolution and settings to low. I've tried restarting my computer and even uninstalling/reinstalling my driver, in which that temporarily fixed it. Any help?

What game(s) specifically, what CPU/GPU temps, what power supply?

What happens if you run firestrike or some other benchmark?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, Hman1250 said:

When did you notice the change? Was it something that happened over night or gradually decreased performance?
What are your temps like?
Monitor is still plugged in to the GPU and not the motherboard?

Have you performed a virus scan?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

When did you notice the change? Was it something that happened over night or gradually decreased performance?
What are your temps like?
Monitor is still plugged in to the GPU and not the motherboard?

Have you performed a virus scan?

I mean I've been playing league for the past few days and been getting my usual 144fps (have 144hz monitor) and nothing else. Went to play MH World and GTA 5 and the fps was just ridiculously low.

Temperatures under heavy load have been around 65C

Monitor is plugged into display port of the RX 580

No I have not yet, I will do that right now.

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What game(s) specifically, what CPU/GPU temps, what power supply?

What happens if you run firestrike or some other benchmark?

Games and Temperatures listed above.

I have a Seasonic 520W 80+ PSU

I haven't benched firestrike or other benchmarks yet

Did you plug the monitor vga cable into the mountain motherboard or the graphics card?

sometime this actually matters. Plug the cable into the gpu

1 hour ago, Hman1250 said:

have you done any hardware changes? sometimes a fresh install on windows helps this.

1 minute ago, Hman1250 said:

Can't see anything wrong specifically then.

Did you buy it used and maybe it has a miner bios or something?

Fastest solution to software issues is reinstalling windows.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Can't see anything wrong specifically then.

Did you buy it used and maybe it has a miner bios or something?

Fastest solution to software issues is reinstalling windows.

I've had the card for about 3 months now and never had this issue before. How do you check if it has a miner bios?

20 minutes ago, alarmingtugboat97 said:

have you done any hardware changes? sometimes a fresh install on windows helps this.

Nope, just added in another SSD a month ago however there were no fps drops at that time.

2 minutes ago, Hman1250 said:

I've had the card for about 3 months now and never had this issue before. How do you check if it has a miner bios?

Nope, just added in another SSD a month ago however there were no fps drops at that time.

if you updated the bios maybe it was a driver or windows update issue

If you really want to trouble shoot the hardware you could try running linux and using steam's new "easy" wrapper layer

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Hman1250 said:

falti card maybe u have warrenty?

18 hours ago, alarmingtugboat97 said:

falti card maybe u have warrenty?

Possibly, and I still do

UPDATE: After not playing on my PC for the entire day and playing again, the framerates are back to normal. I was playing for an extended period of time which possibly could have been a reason however there shouldn't have been any reason for it to really happen considering that the GPU usage for heavier games hadn't reached full load and the temperatures were stable.