I've Had it With this PC

ViolentBoo

Before starting this post, I need to apologize because I've posted about this PC before and you all gave me good suggestions but doing after all of them I simply became aggravated with it and just quit with diagnosing it and just continued using it.

I've built this PC around June of 2017 and here was the parts list:

Ryzen 5 1600

MSI A320 Mother Board

16 GB of Crucial Ballistix Ram 2133

Zotac GTX 1070

WD 250BG SSD

WD Caviar Black 1TB

Cryorg H7

Corsair Carbide 100R

EVGA 450B PSU

You know a pretty good PC, but when I finished installing windows and installed all the drivers and what not it was horrible. I stuttered in literally every game. (Aparently there was a dirver I was missing for the first few months the AM4 drivers.) After installing that everything was a lot better.

But it wasn't perfect.

There were a few things that would happen with this PC:

- There would be a 1/20 chance when opening file explorer it would say "working on it for about 5-10 seconds" before actually showing my drives.

- YouTube would SKIP frames and stutter (especially on my second monitor) and for what ever reason on my second monitor if I try to forward the video by one second, it would give me a loading pinwheel for about five seconds, even though it has CLEARLY buffered the video. Doesn't happen all the time though.

- On OSU, (mainly in song selection and edit mode) it would skip frames and stutter, and would be most noticeable from the timeline on top of the screen when it's automatically playing the song.

- In League it would skip frames, it's not too noticeable unless you are really looking for it so it's not too bad but it's quite annoying.

- If I try to stream league my frame rate drops drastically, so I just quit that.

- YouTube thumbnails would take a second or two to actually load rather than it loading instantly.

- For what ever reason Minecraft is just a stuttering mess for the first like 3 minutes (idk I don't play that much but enough to mention it.)

- And simply micro stuttering on most games that I play on occasion from steam.

Here is what I've tried:

- Swapped out Ram for something that was on the RAM compatibility list for my motherboard (I didn't know that was a thing). Switched to Corsair Value Select that was on the list and didn't fix the issue. (Also started to make my PC blue screen after a month I got it so that ended up as a DOA.)

- Swapped out the motherboard to a GIGABYTE GA-AB350M (ended up keeping) and that didn't fix the issue.

- I reinstalled windows to different drives so see if that was the issue and booting of off them. That didn't work.

- Disconnected other drives except the windows one.

- Someone mentioning that my PSU wattage was too low, so I ordered a Corsair CX650M, nu-uh. (Kept it though it looked nice.)

- I knew it wasn't my GTX 1070 because I got it before everything else so I installed it in my old PC before I got everything else and it wasn't giving me any of these issues.

- Bought a i7-7700t and a B250 board (I know my mistake should have gotten a different chipset) and even after THAT it didn't work.

- Removed the 1070 and used intel HD graphics (didn't have a spare card) and that didn't work.

- I've switched modems between both my new and old PC's and that wasn't causing the issue.

I've literally replaced my entire PC and it wasn't solving my issue, temps are not the problem, I've installed windows a million times after trying each attempt, I know my RAM is a bit slow but it shouldn't be causing these kinds of issues where it struggles on WINDOWS. Help my please image.jpeg.7f241fa25d682fa595b432620d22105f.jpegI think that's everything.

I haven't seen your other threads before this so apologies if you've already answered this. With task manager open to the performance tab do you notice anything pegging out during the stated issues? Have you tested your drives?

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, ViolentBoo said:

- There would be a 1/20 chance when opening file explorer it would say "working on it for about 5-10 seconds" before actually showing my drives.

This is usually caused by your HDD being inactive for a period of time and entering sleep mode, powering down to a low power state. When you open explorer you have to wait for it the platters spin up to speed again. If you want to prevent it from happening, check power settings in windows, edit the power plan and disable your HDD from going in to sleep mode (Set to sleep after 0 minutes).

- YouTube would SKIP frames and stutter (especially on my second monitor) and for what ever reason on my second monitor if I try to forward the video by one second, it would give me a loading pinwheel for about five seconds, even though it has CLEARLY buffered the video. Doesn't happen all the time though.

Enable the Youtube "Stats for Nerds" display by right clicking the video click and selecting it from the list. It will show you if you're dropping frames or have any connection issues, and the status of the buffer.

- On OSU, (mainly in song selection and edit mode) it would skip frames and stutter, and would be most noticeable from the timeline on top of the screen when it's automatically playing the song.

- In League it would skip frames, it's not too noticeable unless you are really looking for it so it's not too bad but it's quite annoying. 

Since you keep mentioning issues with "skipping frames", you should head over to https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping and test your monitors. Could be an issue with the monitor.

- If I try to stream league my frame rate drops drastically, so I just quit that.

That's to be expected if you're using CPU encoding for the stream. As long as the FPS in game is equal to or higher than your monitors refresh rate, it's fine.

- YouTube thumbnails would take a second or two to actually load rather than it loading instantly.

Crappy internet connection?

- For what ever reason Minecraft is just a stuttering mess for the first like 3 minutes (idk I don't play that much but enough to mention it.)

- And simply micro stuttering on most games that I play on occasion from steam.

No idea.

- Someone mentioning that my PSU wattage was too low, so I ordered a Corsair CX650M, nu-uh. (Kept it though it looked nice.)

Your PSUs wattage was never an issue, whoever suggested that was an idiot. Under load your system would be using maybe 250W-300W. The Corsair CXm is a much better quality unit than the EVGA 450B you had before, however.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Are you sure you installed windows on the SSD?

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

This is usually caused by your HDD being inactive for a period of time and entering sleep mode, powering down to a low power state. When you open explorer you have to wait for it the platters spin up to speed again. If you want to prevent it from happening, check power settings in windows, edit the power plan and disable your HDD from going in to sleep mode (Set to sleep after 0 minutes).

Did it but haven't seen any differences.

Enable the Youtube "Stats for Nerds" display by right clicking the video click and selecting it from the list. It will show you if you're dropping frames or have any connection issues, and the status of the buffer.

Since you keep mentioning issues with "skipping frames", you should headCapture.PNG.cd9db3639f29d0e9392b46b1af2b4654.PNG over to https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping and test your monitors. Could be an issue with the monitor, not the system.

I used this monitor of my Previous PC, didn't have these issues.

That's to be expected if you're using CPU encoding for the stream. As long as the FPS in game is equal to or higher than your monitors refresh rate, it's fine.

I used pretty low presets and it i didn't think it would make that much of a differecne.

Crappy internet connection?

7698949523.png

No idea.

Your PSUs wattage was never an issue, whoever suggested that was an idiot. Under load your system would be using maybe 250W-300W. The Corsair CXm is a much better quality unit than the EVGA 450B you had before, however.

5 minutes ago, timl132 said:

Are you sure you installed windows on the SSD?

Yessir.

29 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Some PSU's dont handle powerdraw well nearing the limit of the PSU. CX and VS Is also the low end for powersuppoes of corsair and i cant tell you how many times ive had to replace their shitty low end PSU on a customers system. EVGA NEX is the same way sadly.

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Some PSU's dont handle powerdraw well nearing the limit of the PSU

That system (Ryzen 1600 + GTX 1070) is no where near the limit of 450W.

If a power supply can't deliver its rated wattage, then it's an issue with it being a shitty power supply that should be solved by buying a better quality power supply, not a higher wattage one.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

That system (Ryzen 1600 + GTX 1070) is no where near the limit of 450W.

If a power supply can't deliver its rated wattage, then it's an issue with it being a shitty power supply that should be solved by buying a better quality power supply, not a higher wattage one.

Ive had CX and NEX powersupplies, as well as many other shitty ones rated for 450-650 Watts, but once you get past 250-400 watts it would crash the system. Main reason why i always recommend a EVGA g2/g3 550w or 650w PSU or RM variant, Have yet to have an issue with them and they cost 60-80$ 

Just now, Shimejii said:

Ive had CX and NEX powersupplies, as well as many other shitty ones rated for 450-650 Watts, but once you get past 250-400 watts it would crash the system.

Then I hope you returned it under warranty for a replacement.

If you have a system that draws 250W being powered by a 450W PSU, and the PSU is failing, you replace the PSU under warranty.

If it's failing because the PSU is cheap trash and doesn't meet its stated specs, you don't need a higher wattage PSU. You need a better quality PSU.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Then I hope you returned it under warranty for a replacement.

If you have a system that draws 250W being powered by a 450W PSU, and the PSU is failing, you replace the PSU under warranty.

If it's failing because the PSU is cheap trash and doesn't meet its stated specs, you don't need a higher wattage PSU. You need a better quality PSU.

They dont make a 450 G2 or g3, so i generally go to 550 or 650 g2, whichever is cheaper. Most 450W psus arent that great sadly

24 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

They dont make a 450 G2 or g3, so i generally go to 550 or 650 g2, whichever is cheaper.

Fair point, a lot of the good quality PSUs start at 550W, like the RM550x, Focus Plus Gold 550W, EVGA G2/G3, etc.

24 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Most 450W psus arent that great sadly

There are still plenty of good quality PSUs that do have 450W models though, like the Bitfenix Formula Gold, Whisper M, Be Quiet Straight Power 11, and so on.

The CXm range that OP bought also has the CX450m which is a fairly decent unit for its price point and perfectly suitable for OPs rig. It's also $20 cheaper than the CX650m.

OP was saying he replaced his 450W unit with a 650W unit because someone told him that 450W wasn't enough for his system. Whoever told OP that they needed a higher wattage power supply was wrong.

Also, none of the issues he described are likely to be caused by faulty PSUs or insufficient wattage, so suggesting they change the PSU at all was perhaps not the most helpful advice (though, most people would probably recommend replacing the EVGA 450B with a better unit regardless of if there are any existing issues with the system or not).

That's really weird, you even changed the cpu and motherboard to intel and still have these weird issues... 

it can be a virus on one of your many drives, I remember that when i had the "wannacry" virus in my computer and one drive was affected by it it would slow down my pc when it was encrypting slowly but surely all my files ( drawings, pictures, 3ds max files etc )

Only things you didn't change are the hard drives, and the monitor tho... Can a bad mouse and a keyboard get short circuits that interfere with the motherboard's lanes ? x) can usb extensions of your case coming from the front panels have , i don't know, unstripped wires from a rodent that would have chewed some of the isolation off and causing some shorts in the cables and going back to the Mobo ? 

I know it sounds stupid but... worth a check...

Hmmm... Anything outside your computer could cause some kind of heavy magnetic interference in your house ? I will sound like a conspirationist but, no WIFI or 5G tower have been build around or close to your area these past few months / years ? Any bad neighboor using their microwave against their satellite antenna and targeting it towards your room ? hahaha.

Ultimately... do you have any metallic parts that could be touching some of the solder on the back of your motherboards on the bottom of your case ? ( it could be a screw, it could be the case that has received a hit and is slightly bent and touching, or an old case that someone would use to put heavy things on it and it slightly started to bend over time, these aren't made to support a lot of weight on them )

I fail to see something else x)

22 minutes ago, Maegnicka said:

That's really weird, you even changed the cpu and motherboard to intel and still have these weird issues... 

it can be a virus on one of your many drives, I remember that when i had the "wannacry" virus in my computer and one drive was affected by it it would slow down my pc when it was encrypting slowly but surely all my files ( drawings, pictures, 3ds max files etc ) Just ran a scan with malwarebytes and didn't find anything.

Only things you didn't change are the hard drives, and the monitor tho... Can a bad mouse and a keyboard get short circuits that interfere with the motherboard's lanes ? x) can usb extensions of your case coming from the front panels have , i don't know, unstripped wires from a rodent that would have chewed some of the isolation off and causing some shorts in the cables and going back to the Mobo ? That wouldn't be a bad idea, but this has been happening since day one so I doubt any rodents has chewed anything, (also my mom would have killed them by now so :ss)

I know it sounds stupid but... worth a check...

Hmmm... Anything outside your computer could cause some kind of heavy magnetic interference in your house ? I will sound like a conspirationist but, no WIFI or 5G tower have been build around or close to your area these past few months / years ? Any bad neighboor using their microwave against their satellite antenna and targeting it towards your room ? hahaha. lol, no nothing like that has happend around me.

Ultimately... do you have any metallic parts that could be touching some of the solder on the back of your motherboards on the bottom of your case ? ( it could be a screw, it could be the case that has received a hit and is slightly bent and touching, or an old case that someone would use to put heavy things on it and it slightly started to bend over time, these aren't made to support a lot of weight on them ) I don't think that would be an issue, I treid an outside test when I first built the PC and it still had these issues.

I fail to see something else x)

• 4 weeks later...

I really don't mean to bump this thread, but I still haven't found the issue with this PC. I've reinstalled windows AGAIN with a new boot drive, thinking that the drive could be corrupted but that didn't fix it. If I could send it to Linus I would :P