Looking for new laptop please assist...im going insane

Hey guys,

So I have been using my current laptop since 2012. It is a Lenovo G570-4334.

I have repaired it so many times it is now held together with Super Glue and Epoxy. For example, the screen hinges broke. Initially I was able to fix it. Then that fix failed when the hinge mount on the chassis broke off. So I epoxied it to the chassis and it was good. Then the hinge mounts stripped so the screws dont stay.....I epoxied the screws and hinges together. Then the fan grill broke off and the frame near it cracked. Super-glue fixed that. I had been taking it apart and putting it back together so much nearly all the screw holes were stripped. Also it seemed that every time lately, 1 or 2 screws would go missing even when putting them all in a magnetic container. The thermal paste is Noctua NH-1. I upgraded the RAM to 8GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CAS-9. The chassis is not being opened any more outside of the doors on the underside for RAM and CPU. The chassis has been epoxied together with an extra sealant on the outside of super glue by Gorrilla Glue.

As you can probably tell, this laptop has been in service for a while and unfortunately has seen some dangerous times. It usually rides in my backpack at work and is pulled out to update service tickets in the field or to assist with Router and Switch maintenance. The specs are a Sandybridge Core i3 23xx something I think. 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600. 1x 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD. It runs Linux as Windows sucks hard on this machine at this point. Yes I tried 10 on here and NO,,,,,Hell No.

So, I am here asking for assistance as I have been looking through my options and am going insane.

The requirements I have are simple but sound. No, this is not a gaming computer. I do not game on a laptop if I can help it. I would be fine if it could game at the same time but I primarily watch streaming video, read E-Books, maybe Blender Modeling but also use for work in the field.

I use Linux so keep in mind that I will most likely be wiping that virus of an OS (windows 10) off my machine.

• It needs to be friendly to Linux aka works OOTB with all hardware BT/Wifi etc
  • Must be charged over USB-C/Thunderbolt - I am sick and tired of replacing the barrel port or replacing barrel dongle power bricks. USB C is supposed to have a longer life and stronger port.
  • Should be 15.6" or smaller. At the smallest of 13". 13 or 14" is preferred but 15.6" is acceptable.
  • Touchscreen is optional (not preferred) but if it is touchscreen, it needs to be able to fold over like a tablet so Im not poking at a screen like an idiot but instead using it like a tablet before I flip it back over and use the laptop like normal.
  • I Prefer a Matte screen so I dont have to deal with glare from the sun at work.
  • 1080p or higher --  at Most 1440p.
  • NO NVIDIA graphics - Nvidia's drivers on Linux Suck hard. And when they dont, they are a beotch to install and break as soon as you update the kernel.
  • If dedicated graphics are in it, they must be Intel or AMD (preferably of the Vega series aka Intel's Vega M iGPU series or a Ryzen 7 series or RX Polaris chip like the 580.)
  • Intel or AMD - If AMD - Ryzen 2700U/2500U with Vega 10/Vega 8. If Intel - UHD 620/HD620 or Vega M (ex: Intel Core i7-8809G)
  • Wireless AC
  • Bluetooth 4.1 or higher
  • at minimum 8GB of RAM. Preferably 16GB. Ability to upgrade RAM would be ideal.
  • SSD - m.2 nvme is preferable.
  • DVDRW - not necessary
  • Not heavy - this sucker is riding in my backpack with all my tools. I dont need any additional weight if I can help it.
  • Sturdy/Durable materials
  • able to take it and keep ticking.
  • Max price ~$1800.
  • Newegg. I use my Store card. I do not have an Amazon card at this time. So please keep it to Newegg. i have 12 months 0% APR on every purchase over $500. I have not had any issues with Newegg since I started using them in 2008.

***I would like to clarify this: I am not specifically looking for a 2-in-1 as I am less likely to use it as a tablet. I am also not specifically looking for a Kaby Lake-G. I am however specifically looking for USB-C Charging. I would like to be able to find one with a Ryzen chip like the 2700U. Or, an Intel 8th gen chip. Based on what I can find, Ryzen 2700U Vega10 is better than Kaby Lake-G Vega M. I am less likely to use touch screen than most people seem to think. I have never need to before and didnt really desire the option. The way I see it, if I want touch pad stuff, Ill get a WACOM writing pad. ***

If it has the ability to have a WWAN card added for mobile computing, that would be nice to have so I dont have to tether my phone. But again, not a requirement.

My laptop has been running into issues more and more as time goes on and I fear that it will break soon in a way that I can not solve at the office.

I am Lenovo, Dell, HP certified for computers. HP has been on my watch list but as long as HP stays away from joining the FWUpdate group for Linux firmware updates (Dell and Lenovo are part of that group) then HP unfortunately is not in the running. FWUpdate allows you to upgrade the firmware from the Linux OS automatically like you are installing software packages. No more downloading either an ISO or booting to a Windows USB or partition just to install a BIOS update or something like that.

I do like to Blender render from time to time. Here are a couple of examples of things I have made on that laptop over time.  As you can see, I make the most of what I have. When I do game on this old laptop, I am playing games like Breach & Clear, Company of Heroes 1 & 2, and other top down RTS games like Warzone 2100. Not super demanding but they work. Hence my request of it being Vega graphics or at the least AMD RX Polaris series like a 580. Not simply because of gaming but also because I can use it for Blender Rendering. Can you imagine making the stuff I have with 5000 samples on a i3-Sandybridge chip? It takes HOURs to render.

936107_10151432447201811_1599819901_n.jpg

beaker.jpg

joy bright.jpg

wine glass.jpg

wine-glasses.jpg

Michael.jpg

Edited by KRDucky

Preferred max weight and minimum battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Dell XPS 15 2-in-1

Pretty much everything you mentioned, except you named 15" and it's a 15"6' machine

The 4k one is a little bit over budget https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADYY7WA9688&cm_re=dell_xps_15_2_in_1_vega-_-9SIADYY7WA9688-_-Product

The 1080p one is cheaper, or you can have more storage with the same pricehttps://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADYY7WA9694&cm_re=dell_xps_15_2_in_1_vega-_-9SIADYY7WA9694-_-Product

8 minutes ago, SnowWolf370 said:

Ah, I was going to suggest those. Dell is great!

I mean, this guy asked for Vega M, not a lot of machine uses this. That's why xps 15 comes directly into my head.

I would prefer 4lbs or less.

I had eyed the 15 2-n-1. Yes I am aware of it being 15.6". I just simply reduce the numbering to 15, 14, and 13 inch models. It is somewhat simpler to use that than to constantly say/type 15.6" and 13.3" etc.

While I did ask for Vega M, that was just one option as was the tablet feature. I asked that if it is touchscreen that it have tablet mode. If not touchscreen, no tablet mode but instead have a Matte display.

I am fine with RX570/580, Vega 10, Vega M, UHD 620 and HD620 graphics. Or whatever the highest intel iGPU is (might be the Vega M ^_^)

Battery life should be more than 4 hrs. Preferably, as long as I can get it without sacrificing too much.

I have in the past considered the XPS 9370 and XPS 9360 models but was initially turned off by the soldered RAM.

Thinkpad's X1 carbon series really attracts me too. Too bad the 8th gen Intel chips are on the 6th Gen X1 Carbon and start around $2200.

I have placed the 15.6" 1080p 16GB model on auto-notify.

What other options do you suggest? Lenovo is on my list of approved vendors. When it comes to soldered aka integrated RAM, If I am going to be limited, go big.

XPS 15 9575 or Spectre x360 15 with KBL-G

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

I wish I could get the 9575 with 16GB of RAM and 1080p. the i5 variant.

Any suggestions for 13" models? maybe not 2-n-1? How about Ryzen 2700U ones?

I have been advised that Barrel Dongles for charging are stronger than USB-C ones. As such, if you have any recommendations with Barrel Dongle chargers or the rectangle Lenovo style, let me know. I have someone recommending the Asus GL702 with the Ryzen 1700 and RX580. Not sure it will work for what I need though. It is a 17.3" screen after all. Does anyone know about this laptop?

51 minutes ago, KRDucky said:

Asus GL702 with the Ryzen 1700 and RX580

too many issues

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

figured. I noted in a review that it got less than 2 hours of battery.

ROG-GL702ZC.png