Which GPU to choose?

alpha10

So I'm planning to buy either a MSI Geforce GTX 1070 AERO 8GB or a MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB.

Performance wise they are almost identical, so I disregard about it. I'm choosing either one base on how the GPU is being cooled because of how my case and build of pc is.

From what I know, the AERO is a blower type of cooling which means it blows out of the case while the Gaming X expels the air sideways into the insides of the case, am I right to say that? 

My CPU is watercooled, so nothing to be scared so much about a lot of hot air being stuck inside. There are no fans to vent the hot air out whenever I'm using the PC, just some holes and gaps to provide ventilations. The pic below is my PC.

So which GPU should I choose? The AERO or the Gaming X?

Desktop.jpg

Just get a new case? Also I'm not so sure about the power supply.

Aero is better for such scenario, but I'd rather change the scenario than the card of choice.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

18 minutes ago, alpha10 said:

So I'm planning to buy either a MSI Geforce GTX 1070 AERO 8GB or a MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB.

Performance wise they are almost identical, so I disregard about it. I'm choosing either one base on how the GPU is being cooled because of how my case and build of pc is.

From what I know, the AERO is a blower type of cooling which means it blows out of the case while the Gaming X expels the air sideways into the insides of the case, am I right to say that? 

My CPU is watercooled, so nothing to be scared so much about a lot of hot air being stuck inside. There are no fans to vent the hot air out whenever I'm using the PC, just some holes and gaps to provide ventilations. The pic below is my PC.

So which GPU should I choose? The AERO or the Gaming X?

Desktop.jpg

What are the actual specs of the PC.And also i will never recommend MSI products as they have more gaming branding then quality.

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

this is a 430w PSU, I bet someone will tell you getting a better PSU.

for cooling purpose, you really need to open side panel forever, unless you buy a blower style gpu (not suggested, easy overheat, worst cooling effect)or new case.

imo try look for different brand gpu and compare

Hello @alpha10 and welcome to the forums.

Your case lacks airflow, the transistors around your CPU water block are only surviving because of the air moved by the radiator fan. Even if you were to mount a small fan in the HDD area, the motherboard needs some air passing over it, and this would not help as the two regions are sectioned. I have no doubt you could pick up a better ventilated second-hand case for about $10 and another fan new for approximately thirty (RGB extra of course)!

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

2 hours ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

What are the actual specs of the PC.And also i will never recommend MSI products as they have more gaming branding then quality.

Specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel core i7-4790 3.6GHz 

RAM: 8GB 

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX745

Storage: 1 HRS

PSU: 500W

Motherboard: Kaili2

Prebuilt PC from HP

From experience of having a bad setup, change your case to one with more fan slots, buy more fans for those slots, and then decide from there. Maybe just try a cheap rosewill case that comes with fans, that should get you better airflow

This is a decent case with 3 fans pre-installed

amzn.com/B01IT0TDY6

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but won't the 1070 with the i7-4790 be kind of a bottleneck? I don't think it would be but I'm not sure

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

14 minutes ago, mxk. said:

From experience of having a bad setup, change your case to one with more fan slots, buy more fans for those slots, and then decide from there. Maybe just try a cheap rosewill case that comes with fans, that should get you better airflow

This is a decent case with 3 fans pre-installed

amzn.com/B01IT0TDY6

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but won't the 1070 with the i7-4790 be kind of a bottleneck? I don't think it would be but I'm not sure

From what I read online on many forums including here they said it won't really bottleneck 

@alpha10 Does your HP side panel (the one that is off in the picture) have a fan or vent on it?

But if you are really concerned about pushing air out of your case then you need to look at a Founders Edition blower style cards

PNY GeForce GTX 1070 - graphics card - GF GTX 1070 - 8 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition Video Card 8GB

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

7 hours ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

@alpha10 Does your HP side panel (the one that is off in the picture) have a fan or vent on it?

But if you are really concerned about pushing air out of your case then you need to look at a Founders Edition blower style cards

PNY GeForce GTX 1070 - graphics card - GF GTX 1070 - 8 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition Video Card 8GB

It has a vent on it 

13 hours ago, alpha10 said:

It has a vent on it 

If you liked it, then you should have put a NOCTUA on it
If you liked it, then you shoulda put a NOCTUA on it
Don't be mad once you see that burnt capacitor in it
If you liked it, then you shoulda put a NOCTUA on it

Adapted from Beyonce Knowles - Put A Ring On It Lyrics added sarcasm is my own doing though !