Living Room Audio

mbryant

Hi all,

I bought a TCL 55" 4K TV shortly after I moved into my apartment and I've started using the living room more and more over the last few months so I figured I need to upgrade my audio.

I've been looking at speakers and sound bars. I was kind of considering Logitech's Z625 as my living room isn't all that big but I'm also aware of the fact that they are desktop speakers. I'm looking to spend up to $250 USD. My main concern is clarity and bass is right below that. I really want some decent bass.

Any recommendations? 

Thanks! 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

5 minutes ago, mbryant said:

Any recommendations? 

Check this out: https://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-LAS475B-sound-bar I bought this from my local best buy. they had a display with 8 different sound bars set up. All in the $100-300 range, and this LG one sounded the best, and was cheaper then the Samsung one I was originally looking at. I would definitely get one of LG's soundbars. Just make sure it has a subwoofer (really any brand of soundbar needs a subwoofer, almost no bass in the bar speakers). They get pretty loud and have solid bass. I use it in my apartments living room with a 55" Samsung and have a pc hooked up out there as well for games and it sounds great. I have an older surround sound setup in my office, and to be honest I don't notice THAT much of a difference apart from having actual speakers behind me.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

Consider taking a look at used audio gear. There are quite some old speakers out there that sound great and can be bought for little money. I've got a pair of B&Ws from the 80s and they sound fabulous. (that is, better than any soundbar) Combine them with a modern receiver/amp and there you go; an excellent audio system for little money.

soundbars are great for convenience though, and they take up less space.

On 10/3/2018 at 4:51 PM, EarthWormJM2 said:

Check this out: https://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-LAS475B-sound-bar I bought this from my local best buy. they had a display with 8 different sound bars set up. All in the $100-300 range, and this LG one sounded the best, and was cheaper then the Samsung one I was originally looking at. I would definitely get one of LG's soundbars. Just make sure it has a subwoofer (really any brand of soundbar needs a subwoofer, almost no bass in the bar speakers). They get pretty loud and have solid bass. I use it in my apartments living room with a 55" Samsung and have a pc hooked up out there as well for games and it sounds great. I have an older surround sound setup in my office, and to be honest I don't notice THAT much of a difference apart from having actual speakers behind me.

Would a system like this allow me to upgrade the sub eventually? Part of the reason why I was looking at something like studio monitors or multi media speakers was because I could upgrade the sub at any time I've got a pair of JBL powered monitors in my office and I love them to death. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

13 hours ago, mbryant said:

Would a system like this allow me to upgrade the sub eventually? Part of the reason why I was looking at something like studio monitors or multi media speakers was because I could upgrade the sub at any time I've got a pair of JBL powered monitors in my office and I love them to death. 

The subs on these soundbars are bluetooth connected, So in theory if you buy a better sub and it has bluetooth capabilities, you should be able to pair it with the sound bar. There are ways to re-sync the sub it comes with, so I don't see why that would not work. But I have never tried it. That would be interesting to look into, I mean they do have wireless bluetooth rear speaker kits that you can buy to add on to these as well. So I would assume they are very expandable.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x