Cpu cooler unattached to cpu

SpyDaFX
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
2 minutes ago, SpyDaFX said:

For everyone who asked about temps and hardware, im using an i7 8700k on z370-A pro motherboard with the air cooler antec C400 inside a sharkoon sgc1 window case with 5 fans.

Now about temps, im running when idle about 30 degrees and while 100% load 60 degrees, i tried a 2-3 hour long render session and it was 59-62 degrees max (cinema 4d) (i got those temps without turbo boost, stock speed)

i’ve been just wondering if the thermal paste could somehow leak into the cpu socket due to the heat idk my only concern is the safety of the cpu because i7 8700k is a pretty expensive cpu.

The thermal paste can't leak unless you used an excessive amount. The heat is fine with load temps of 60 Celsius, but the problem is that a fan is an object in motion, and you haven't secured it to anything. You need to do that ASAP before it jostles free.

Short backstory to the question:

i can’t attach the cpu cooler with some “clips” to the standoff on the mobo of the cpu cooler, so i just put the cooler on the thermal paste on the cpu, and that’s probably the only thing that connects between the cooler and cpu.

Anyway, my question is, i’ve been using the computer while the computer is laying on the ground, like, the gravity doesn’t affect the cpu cooler and makes him fall off the cpu (imagine a case with a window, now imagine the window is facing the sky, this is the situation) and there is thermal paste between the cooler and the cpu, so it’s ok to leave that like that if i don’t touch in any way or form or move the case/cooler at all?

At the moment i don’t have money for a new cooler, when i’ll have i’ll buy an installation for him too.

image.jpg

Well what is the cooler and motherboard in question? It is fine to leave it this way, but maybe you can just buy mounting Hardware from the manufacturer of your CPU Cooler.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

NOT OKAY heatsink need to be pressing down on the CPU what temp is the cpu running at bet its throttling under load

26 minutes ago, Zipfirealpha said:

NOT OKAY heatsink need to be pressing down on the CPU what temp is the cpu running at bet its throttling under load

Well the weight of the cooler itself is probably putting pressure down, so the paste still spread out and got even contact. I've used this method before to spot check coolers and temps and it works fine.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Well as far back as I can remember attaching  heatsink "cooler" to a mainboard has been a best practice thing... I would have to say after thousands of builds and repairs I have done as a systembuilder at MemoryExpress 70% of failures have been to badly installed hardware not having your cooler attached to the motherboard qualifies. I think there is a Linus pressing down on a system cooler to get it to post. You should not be telling someone its fine. NOT OKAY to just set the cooler on the cpu and bootup your Fav stress test game. it may work for a bit but you will let the magic smoke out at some point. Not being a dick just trying to help 

CHEERS

10 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Well the weight of the cooler itself is probably putting pressure down, so the paste still spread out and got even contact. I've used this method before to spot check coolers and temps and it works fine.

Intel's LGA-115? socket is specified to withstand 600N of uniform static loading force

If temps are reasonable, maybe. But thats far from ideal. You should atleast try to tighten it down with zipties or something.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, Zipfirealpha said:

Well as far back as I can remember attaching  heatsink "cooler" to a mainboard has been a best practice thing... I would have to say after thousands of builds and repairs I have done as a systembuilder at MemoryExpress 70% of failures have been to badly installed hardware not having your cooler attached to the motherboard qualifies. I think there is a Linus pressing down on a system cooler to get it to post. You should not be telling someone its fine. NOT OKAY to just set the cooler on the cpu and bootup your Fav stress test game. it may work for a bit but you will let the magic smoke out at some point. Not being a dick just trying to help 

CHEERS

It's like I said, it's ok for a spot check for temps but that's it. This is no way to leave a system long term.

Primary PC:

For everyone who asked about temps and hardware, im using an i7 8700k on z370-A pro motherboard with the air cooler antec C400 inside a sharkoon sgc1 window case with 5 fans.

Now about temps, im running when idle about 30 degrees and while 100% load 60 degrees, i tried a 2-3 hour long render session and it was 59-62 degrees max (cinema 4d) (i got those temps without turbo boost, stock speed)

i’ve been just wondering if the thermal paste could somehow leak into the cpu socket due to the heat idk my only concern is the safety of the cpu because i7 8700k is a pretty expensive cpu.

note - i dont think i have enough space to even install the cpu cooler because my ram is legit touching the cooler and some weird part of the mobo (sensor(?)) is blocking me aswell from the other side of the cooler.

2 minutes ago, SpyDaFX said:

The thermal paste can't leak unless you used an excessive amount. The heat is fine with load temps of 60 Celsius, but the problem is that a fan is an object in motion, and you haven't secured it to anything. You need to do that ASAP before it jostles free.

Primary PC:

13 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

But if it didn’t move for like 2 weeks so why would it now? I mean, i even changed the rpm to full speed and it didnt change anything, maybe because of the weight of the cooler..

23 minutes ago, SpyDaFX said:

But if it didn’t move for like 2 weeks so why would it now? I mean, i even changed the rpm to full speed and it didnt change anything, maybe because of the weight of the cooler..

Trust me, there's a reason you're supposed to fix the cooler to the board. I'm not saying there's gonna be a catastrophic failure, like your cooler flies off and destroys a part, but since you're just letting it sit there, there's room for disaster.

Primary PC: