build my first pc

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

That seems like a lot to pay for the cooler for not that much benefit.

Also could save on the mobo and grab a 1080.

PSU could be better.

I like cold CPUs. He could prob OC the 2600 to 2600X speeds. He could also get a Cryorig H5 ult, or a EVGA CLC 240.

You could, but I put it in there for Wifi (if he needs it), and upgradeability. That mobo will handle a 105W cpu. The cheapest 1080 is a blower, and the next one is 469.99 (I dont count MIRs. Takes forever and sometimes doesnt work.)

its T2 (i think), and JG gave it a 9.4.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

I like cold CPUs. He could prob OC the 2600 to 2600X speeds. He could also get a Cryorig H5 ult, or a EVGA CLC 240.

For a 2600 a $100 is a bit unnecessary IMO. You could get away with a $50-$60 cooler that would do just as well.

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

You could, but I put it in there for Wifi (if he needs it), and upgradeability. That mobo will handle a 105W cpu.

You could definitely go cheaper though and save some money to use on other stuff.

3 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

The cheapest 1080 is a blower, and the next one is 469.99 (I dont count MIRs. Takes forever and sometimes doesnt work.)

Which you could potentially afford if you cut down on CPU cooler or something

4 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

its T2 (i think), and JG gave it a 9.4.

Yeah though 550w G3, Focus+ Gold, and RMx are all same price or cheaper. The extra 100w isn't needed so that doesn't really matter.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

For a 2600 a $100 is a bit unnecessary IMO. You could get away with a $50-$60 cooler that would do just as well.

You could definitely go cheaper though and save some money to use on other stuff.

Which you could potentially afford if you cut down on CPU cooler or something

Yeah though 550w G3, Focus+ Gold, and RMx are all same price or cheaper. The extra 100w isn't needed so that doesn't really matter.

Again, He could swap it out for a 60$ cooler (H5 ultimate), But if he wants to throw in a 3800X (or whatever), a h100i or CLC 240 would do better)

As for the PSU, The RM550X is only cheaper if you include MIR. I dont. cheapest Focus Plus is 71.11 without MIR. Again same with the 550 G3.

Again, He could swap it out for a 60$ cooler (H5 ultimate), But if he wants to throw in a 3800X (or whatever), a h100i or CLC 240 would do better)

It just seems to me that that $50 would probably be more beneficial to be spent on the GPU. Maybe with a higher core count CPU a better CPU cooler could help, but even then I doubt the extra OCing potential would be much (probably .2 ghz at max).

As for the PSU, The RM550X is only cheaper if you include MIR. I dont. cheapest Focus Plus is 71.11 without MIR. Again same with the 550 G3.

It's also $70 w/o MIR. G3 is $63

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xRV33b
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xRV33b/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($165.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8200 480GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card  ($489.99 @ Walmart) 
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P350X (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1227.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-28 17:19 EDT-0400

cheaper  mobo and cooler, got a good 1080. (note, the 430$ 1080s are either a blower (shit), or uses MIR(again, i dont consider those in price), the next cheapest is 469.99, and 20$ for a better PCB and cooler is a gud deal.

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It just seems to me that that $50 would probably be more beneficial to be spent on the GPU. Maybe with a higher core count CPU a better CPU cooler could help, but even then I doubt the extra OCing potential would be much (probably .2 ghz at max).

It's also $70 w/o MIR. G3 is $63

Yes, i said that swapping out a different cooler would be fine, Saving 50$ is perfectly fine, its just that IMO, a good cooler will last you a long time. I have a 280mm CLC for a 8600k. Overkill, but i know i won't have to replace it for the entire 5yrs of warranty.

As for PSU, i guess, but i only use these retailers.

5bae9ca0b13cf_Screenshotfrom2018-09-2817-26-43.png.403f78ec15da635bec3cfb56e34aa4cb.png

BC some are far away (superbiiz 1 week shipping when you buy 2 day)

BTW @DocSwag

Why is the GQ series T2?

from JG

Performance (40% of the final score) - another review comes down to the scoring page. This one's going to be a bit tricky for me. Not because of efficiency... this unit did Gold both times, and managed some impressive results at low loads. Not because of voltage regulation, because that was excellent, too. It's the ripple that's driving me up the wall with this unit. Only the 5V rail's really good enough to get away with no deduction. And yet... the other two are just below the cutoff line between scoring brackets. Another 2mV, and the 3.3V rail would get a deduction. It's safe, just barely. The 12V rail will get a half point deduction for being just at the outside edge of "very good," and it too is about 2.5mV away from the line. I really want to score those deductions, because 2-2.5mV is nothing. But my methodology says I technically can't, so I technically won't. 9.5.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - this will get the exact same score as big brother. We have a semi-modular unit, so I'm taking half a point for not being fully modular. Everything else about the unit is ok with me. 9.5.

Value (20% of the final score) - $79.99 gets you one of these at Newegg. It's the same price as two Seasonic Gold 650s in white and black. It's $5 more than a G1 unit. On the other hand, everything that really competes is more money. Everything but the two Seasonics, that is, and because of them I'll do 8.5 here.

Build Quality (20% of the final score) - I found no issues at all with this unit to whine about here, so I'll do a 10 here.

It got a 9.5 in perf, 9.5 in func, and 10 in Quality. only thing that dropped it a bit is price.

Does Price affect Tiering?

47 minutes ago, ah med said:

about 1300$

You can just about get a 12 core X399 system for that budget, for some reason there's a really cheap RX 570 right now

More for the workstation part naturally

PartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QtCmQZ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QtCmQZ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz 12-Core Processor  ($499.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S TR4-SP3 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler  ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399M Taichi Micro ATX TR4 Motherboard  ($303.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 570 4GB Gaming 4G  Video Card  ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($42.60 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.13 @ Amazon)
Total: $1323.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-28 17:31 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You can just about get a 12 core X399 system for that budget, for some reason there's a really cheap RX 570 right now

More for the workstation part naturally

PartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QtCmQZ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QtCmQZ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz 12-Core Processor  ($499.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S TR4-SP3 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler  ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399M Taichi Micro ATX TR4 Motherboard  ($303.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 570 4GB Gaming 4G  Video Card  ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($42.60 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.13 @ Amazon)
Total: $1323.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-28 17:31 EDT-0400

Why didnt you get the gaming pro carbon AC? its 5$ more, has wifi, and has more PORTZ

also i heard that you should always go for quad channel with TR.

Good build. Interesting about the cheap AF 570. perhaps Polaris 30 will come out soon.

Edit: rx 570 out of stock newegg D:

168$ on amazon.

4 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

BTW @DocSwag

Why is the GQ series T2?

from JG

Performance (40% of the final score) - another review comes down to the scoring page. This one's going to be a bit tricky for me. Not because of efficiency... this unit did Gold both times, and managed some impressive results at low loads. Not because of voltage regulation, because that was excellent, too. It's the ripple that's driving me up the wall with this unit. Only the 5V rail's really good enough to get away with no deduction. And yet... the other two are just below the cutoff line between scoring brackets. Another 2mV, and the 3.3V rail would get a deduction. It's safe, just barely. The 12V rail will get a half point deduction for being just at the outside edge of "very good," and it too is about 2.5mV away from the line. I really want to score those deductions, because 2-2.5mV is nothing. But my methodology says I technically can't, so I technically won't. 9.5.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - this will get the exact same score as big brother. We have a semi-modular unit, so I'm taking half a point for not being fully modular. Everything else about the unit is ok with me. 9.5.

Value (20% of the final score) - $79.99 gets you one of these at Newegg. It's the same price as two Seasonic Gold 650s in white and black. It's $5 more than a G1 unit. On the other hand, everything that really competes is more money. Everything but the two Seasonics, that is, and because of them I'll do 8.5 here.

Build Quality (20% of the final score) - I found no issues at all with this unit to whine about here, so I'll do a 10 here.

It got a 9.5 in perf, 9.5 in func, and 10 in Quality. only thing that dropped it a bit is price.

Does Price affect Tiering?

You can't really use the scoring to determine exact quality. If you look at the actual performance numbers it puts up decent voltage regulation numbers (a bit below 1% on average), which, while pretty good, isn't quite as good as what some other units can do (I believe Focus+, for example, gets closer to .5% on average). More importantly, voltage ripple is pretty meh. 30 mV on the minor rails and 60 mV on the 12v isn't that great. Focus+ gets around 10-25mV and the G3 gets around 10-15 mV. RMx is also 10-15mV IIRC

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler