If I stand on tile while I am building a pc do I need to ground myself?

Hamface55

If I stand on tile while I am building a pc do I need to ground myself? If I do how can I do that?

1 minute ago, Magus said:

When I watch videos of people building computers they do not always use the wrist straps. Do I really need one? Is it as long I am not on carpet?

23 minutes ago, Hamface55 said:

If I stand on tile while I am building a pc do I need to ground myself? If I do how can I do that?

The easy way: Connect the power cord to the PSU, but keep the switch off. Touch any metal part of the cas before you touch any electronics. Done.
The careful way: keep touching the case (by your elbow, or whatever) while working. Stay away from anything plastic and don't move too much.

Tha crazy way: Wrap a piece of naked wire around your ankle and around some metal part of the case, or central heating radiator or pipe.

Or, you know, buy a $5 antistatic wristband...
But I never used one in 20 years and never killed anything with static.

they aren't truly necessary anymore really, I'm sure jayz2cents did a video of him building a pc on his carpet to prove a point... if it's your first try then sure, its only $5 anyways otherwise i wouldn't bother.

I was always told to grab the case and a heater.
But here they are always grounded.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

You really only need to be sure when installing CPU. Other parts have enough shrouds to eliminate any excessive static. Touching any metallic part with power conencted will do just fine.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I’ve never grounded myself while building a pc, but then again I live in Florida where it’s really humid. If I was worried though, I’d just discharge myself through the power supply chassis or a nearby water pipe. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.