Ubuntu doesn't want my fingertips

Hey everyone,

I have an issue with the way ubuntu 18.04 works with my touchpad, it doesnt register when I use my fingertips, only if I use my whole fingerprint which makes it horrible to use.

I'm using an Asus C301S (that's a chromebook) with an Elan touchpad and crouton to run ubuntu on top of ChromeOS.
I searched on google and didn't find any answer to my problem, only answers were for problems concerning multitouch, which seems to work ok with me, even if it means using two fingers covering the whole touchpad.

I also searched in xfce4 parameters and documentation, nothing there.

I have no idea where to search, if someone could help me, I would appreciate

8 hours ago, Kaolo said:

Hey everyone,

I have an issue with the way ubuntu 18.04 works with my touchpad, it doesnt register when I use my fingertips, only if I use my whole fingerprint which makes it horrible to use.

I'm using an Asus C301S (that's a chromebook) with an Elan touchpad and crouton to run ubuntu on top of ChromeOS.
I searched on google and didn't find any answer to my problem, only answers were for problems concerning multitouch, which seems to work ok with me, even if it means using two fingers covering the whole touchpad.

I also searched in xfce4 parameters and documentation, nothing there.

I have no idea where to search, if someone could help me, I would appreciate

I have no idea what's going on. Have you tried installing kubuntu or ubuntu mate, ive generally had better luck with them in the past.

Edited by Arandomguyonaforum
Typo

I can't, try with these, I tried with debian 9 and kali, same problem

This probably boils down into Laptop manufacturers not giving information about their devices (or better yet, actually supporting Linux). In worst case, the touchpad is non-standard. There is no way for the drivers to know what to expect from such a touchpad...

Anyways, run in (a terminal) 'xinput list'. Is your touchpad listed there? If yes, then try 'xinput list-props X' (just the number should be enough)  and try to figure out how to use xinput to make the touchpad behave. I can't give specific instructions from the top of my head, but perhaps this will point you in the right direction :-)

I needed to do some tweaks with xinput for my MBP (though, it was nowhere near as bad as what you describe), but for multi-touch, the default Synaptics was just unacceptable. I got better results with libinput. If xinput does not help, you might try to look for instructions to how to switch to libinput instead (of Synaptics ... it get's a bit hairy, xinput is a tool to configure either under X.org). It might work better (or not) with libinput (worth a shot).

There are some google hits with "linux touchpad sensitivity" which might be relevant.

Edited by Wild Penquin
TYPOs