Security Screening in Vancouver

Cthulhu Calamari

A co-worker was just telling me about a recent issue with her computer.

While doing something online a pop-up locked her home computer and prompted her to call a number, which she did. The person on the other end had her use Run to download something form a "CCLB.com" domain, and they were walking her through setting that up when she realized it was probably fraud, and she ended the conversation before everything was fully set up.

So, I was wondering if there was a cleaning service in Vancouver, BC that was recommended and/or trusted by people here.

In the meantime I'm going to walk her through using some security features, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

I've had something similar like this;

MalwareBytes took care of it with relative ease :) 

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

7 minutes ago, Cthulhu Calamari said:

A co-worker was just telling me about a recent issue with her computer.

While doing something online a pop-up locked her home computer and prompted her to call a number, which she did. The person on the other end had her use Run to download something form a "CCLB.com" domain, and they were walking her through setting that up when she realized it was probably fraud, and she ended the conversation before everything was fully set up.

So, I was wondering if there was a cleaning service in Vancouver, BC that was recommended and/or trusted by people here.

In the meantime I'm going to walk her through using some security features, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

Unless she knows EXACTLY what was downloaded to the computer, the only thing I'd recommend is a pave and nuke of the entire drive, if she wants to be sure it's clean. An IT professional (such as myself) could look at the computer, but it's impossible to say it's 100% clean without knowing exactly what was changed.

However, if she's OK with the potential for it to still be infected, she could take it to a trusted IT professional or computer repair shop (with competent technicians) and have them give it a once over, or just run MalwareBytes herself, along with ADWCleaner.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Thanks for the help. I've sent clean download links for the programs to the co-worker.

Does anyone know if any of the computer services companies in Vancouver are secure?