Network storage on the cheap with raid 1

naike

I'm looking for possibilities to store my old files and "archive" type data into some storage, that should at least be secured should one hard drive fail.

I was thinking of either going cloud storage, but I don't really like the idea of storing my very personal files somewhere else, unless it's done in some very secure and privacy-compliant way.

What options do I have?

I would like to be able to access the files over the internet, so this would mean exposing the server and securing it.

Should I build something myself (size is kind of an issue), or go with some NAS solution or a network drive that does raid (if that even exists)

Are you comfortable with setting up things to be available outside your network? I have no idea what your experience level is so it's kind of difficult to answer. There are several ways to do it. Some ways more secure than others. For example you could setup a VPN service so you can VPN into your home network and access your network or browse the internet as if you were at home.

If you're not comfortable setting up something yourself, there are a few out of the box solutions that offer a service (such as Western Digital or synology) but then again, there is a possibility that your data might be going through their servers. Depending on the amount of data you are going to need to store, cloud based storage might be considering. The biggest upside is you don't have a hardware solution to maintain, upgrade, or repair. Downside being you'll need access to internet every time you want to access your data (save for solutions you download a utility and it syncs a folder). If you do go with a service (which would be my suggestion) make sure you read their privacy policy carefully as it will outline things like what data they collect and what happens to it.

You can prevent snooping with encryption if you're paranoid about storing your data on a cloud. Even using 7ZIP should be enough to prevent data mining and it will allow you to unlock your file with a simple password.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, naike said:

I'm looking for possibilities to store my old files and "archive" type data into some storage, that should at least be secured should one hard drive fail.

I was thinking of either going cloud storage, but I don't really like the idea of storing my very personal files somewhere else, unless it's done in some very secure and privacy-compliant way.

What options do I have?

I would like to be able to access the files over the internet, so this would mean exposing the server and securing it.

Should I build something myself (size is kind of an issue), or go with some NAS solution or a network drive that does raid (if that even exists)

Following - Im dealing with this same situation..Im thinking of buying this Newegg Flash and converting it into my own server with old HDDs I have

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16883288304

Tons of expansion options for only $140, can add tons of RAID cards etc - wont be the fastest but its super affordable, heck you could make it a media center too ;)

I haven't pulled the trigger because I think this is a great plan but I spend to much money as it is and the wife would kill me if I didn't budget first.  I think that's a GREAT deal for the tower size, power options, looks ATX to me (and if not then these MOBOs are $7 to convert to ATX PSU, I have the 8300 as a media center)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Any cloud providers you can recommend?
I'd prefer if the files are hosted in the EU, and very good privacy policy.

That looks like a nice idea, I just gave away and old pc I had :/

Any point in trying to build one from scratch with new parts?

I don't mind configuring VPNs or the likes myself.

1 minute ago, naike said:

Any cloud providers you can recommend?
I'd prefer if the files are hosted in the EU, and very good privacy policy.

That looks like a nice idea, I just gave away and old pc I had :/

Any point in trying to build one from scratch with new parts?

I don't mind configuring VPNs or the likes myself.

I think its WAY to expensive to start from scratch due to the needs of the OS for a server and whatnot.  But if you don't mind spending the money the sky is the limit!  Im assessing this one based off the amount of HDD I could easily fit, the amount of PCI sata cards I could put in it - all for $140 starting price, with a lower power consumption CPU to boot.

I did this for my Media Center (bought an HP Pro 6300 MT with an i5 3470) for $140 shipped then dropped in a GPU, RAM, SSD, additional HDDs, blu ray player etc etc that I had in the parts pile already - have a BEAST media center for $140 and old parts laying around (plays GTA5, ARK etc)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Using a cloud only solution depends on what kind of files you use most often (Bandwith limitations)

A good cloud platform is:

Tresorit.com

With a very big plus:

they are subject to the privacy laws in the Netherlands and Ireland!

Edit:

A negative being the maximum storage space is 2TB