Can I use Rank 1 and Rank 2 Ram simultaneously ?

I recently bought 4 GB Ram (kingston) which is rank 2 and I am currently using 4 GB ram (kingston) which is rank 1, so my concern is if I can use rank 1 and rank 2 simultaneously without expecting any problems in future?

P.s. :- Both Rams have same Frequency, Lantency and Voltage of different models.

Your answers would be appreciated. Thank you !

I've never heard the expression of different ranks in regards to RAM before. However I do know that you can use different sticks together, as well as different frequencies, capacities and latencies.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

3 minutes ago, Figure8101 said:

I recently bought 4 GB Ram (kingston) which is rank 2 and I am currently using 4 GB ram (kingston) which is rank 1, so my concern is if I can use rank 1 and rank 2 simultaneously without expecting any problems in future?

P.s. :- Both Rams have same Frequency, Lantency and Voltage of different models.

Your answers would be appreciated. Thank you !

do you mean Single Rank and Dual Rank? it should be fine, it's not like your PC would go up in smoke or anything, it either works or it doesn't

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_rank

• Subject to some limitations, ranks can be accessed independently, although not simultaneously as the data lines are still shared between ranks on a channel. For example, the controller can send write data to one rank while it awaits read data previously selected from another rank. While the write data is consumed from the data bus, the other rank could perform read-related operations such as the activation of a row or internal transfer of the data to the output drivers. Once the CA bus is free from noise from the previous read, the DRAM can drive out the read data. Controlling interleaved accesses like so is done by the memory controller.[citation needed]
  • There is a small performance reduction for multi-rank systems as they require some pipeline stalls between accessing different ranks. For two ranks on a single DIMM it might not even be required, but this parameter is often programmed independently of the rank location in the system (if on the same DIMM or different DIMMs). Nevertheless, this pipeline stall is negligible compared to the aforementioned effects.[citation needed]

This is more of a concern when adding RAM to a server. But if your computer can see both sticks correctly, then I wouldn't worry much. Basically you will have a slightly reduced speed since it can't communicate exactly the same between the 2 different ranks, but it most likely won't be noticeable. If you start to have issues tho, I would return the dual rank and ask for another single rank replacement.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

Yes, but they cannot be put on the same channel.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/