Cheap ddr3?

DVA

Hey guys, I'll be giving my laptop to my wife but she has...let's say issues with her patience. Anyway, I will be replacing the current 5400 hdd with a much needed SSD. I wanted to upgrade the 8gb's of ram to 16. 

So far from my own quick searches, it will be about $100 bucks for 16gb's of ddr3 at 1800 mhz using a 204pin connection. Is that just above average or am I not looking hard enough for a much better price? ddr3 is so old (in my opinion) but it's costing only $50 less than my ddr4 coutnerpart @ 3000mhz with RGB.

Any help with websites that can help me find some for cheaper or discounted? I'd go with ebay but I don't want some dud sticks that they grabbed from some scrapyard lol. 

I use PCPartPicker for my quick search earlier by the way. 

Thanks for any help guys.

eBay ram isn't scrapyard ram, all of the RAM I've ever bought from eBay has been fine. And I've owned a lot of used ddr3

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, DVA said:

Hey guys, I'll be giving my laptop to my wife but she has...let's say issues with her patience. Anyway, I will be replacing the current 5400 hdd with a much needed SSD. I wanted to upgrade the 8gb's of ram to 16. 

So far from my own quick searches, it will be about $100 bucks for 16gb's of ddr3 at 1800 mhz using a 204pin connection. Is that just above average or am I not looking hard enough for a much better price? ddr3 is so old (in my opinion) but it's costing only $50 less than my ddr4 coutnerpart @ 3000mhz with RGB.

Any help with websites that can help me find some for cheaper or discounted? I'd go with ebay but I don't want some dud sticks that they grabbed from some scrapyard lol. 

I use PCPartPicker for my quick search earlier by the way. 

Thanks for any help guys.

Have you looked on Craigslist and local small Computer shops? Usually the smaller ones will carry an assortment of used hardware for sale. That way you can even validate the memory is detected in your system before handing over your cash. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

eBay ram isn't scrapyard ram, all of the RAM I've ever bought from eBay has been fine. And I've owned a lot of used ddr3

Alright you convinced me. Easy peasy. I just bought a 1080ti off ebay a few days ago. Thinking about this post...feels kind of dumb posting it now LOL. 

*buys 1080ti off ebay* ---> ~worried about buying ddr3 ram ~

oops :D

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Have you looked on Craigslist and local small Computer shops? Usually the smaller ones will carry an assortment of used hardware for sale. That way you can even validate the memory is detected in your system before handing over your cash. 

Read my statement above, I'm just going to use ebay and trust in their buyer protection :)

Just now, DVA said:

Read my statement above, I'm just going to use ebay and trust in their buyer protection :)

Well how about local shops though? You just asked for cheaper sites so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Well how about local shops though? You just asked for cheaper sites so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for the help! i wish I had local shops that sold that kind of stuff around me, unfortunately I have to drive around 45minutes or so to find some of those kinds of shops. 

Especially since RAM is generally some of the most reliably stuff you'll ever put in a PC, and often has lifetime warranty, you shouldn't have to worry too much

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Especially since RAM is generally some of the most reliably stuff you'll ever put in a PC, and often has lifetime warranty, you shouldn't have to worry too much

Lifetime warranty huh? I had NO idea about that. 

Just now, DVA said:

Lifetime warranty huh? I had NO idea about that. 

It won't always, and you'll have to make sure that any warranty it does have transfers when you buy/sell it second hand, but yeah, it's possible.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.