upgrade gtx 970 or monitor?

Grabow

So I am having a dilemma.

I want to upgrade my monitor to a 120 or 144hz panel.

Currently using a 27" 60hz 1080p monitor.

My gpu is an EVGA gtx 970 OC version.

Running on an i7 4790k.

I wonder if I would be better of upgrading my gpu or monitor.

Which would you recommend?

This depends a lot, as @Dan Castellaneta said, the games you play make a major difference. But for the moment I would ask you to make a test: disable vsync in your games and check how many FPS you are getting. If that's below 75 in most games, it makes more sense to upgrade the GPU first, if you are in the 100s in all games, go for the monitor. 

as a GTX970 user, you will only get avg 40-50FPS on ultra everything settings for demanding games at 1080p.

so its obvious to upgrade GPU then monitor

I still run a 1080p 60hz monitor with a PNY 1050 Ti, and the way I see it if you were to upgrade your display your graphics card probably would not be able to keep up with the display so to speak. But then again like Chalk and Dan said it depends on the games that you play.

Main titles I play are Battlefield Series, Battlefront, Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, Fortnite. Common FPS games.

Most games I play get 75fps or higher depending on the settings. Usually high settings or more depending on the title.

If I upgrade the monitor to a 144hz display then I would not really be taking advantage of it because I know the 970 would not be able to hit those fps in most titles.