What should I buy

FlicKR

Hi

I am planning on making my own pc build for gaming and 3dmodeling/game development. I have used a laptop for now but it can't handle a scene with more than 100,000 polygons so I need and upgrade.

I thought of buying this:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x

Graphis Card: GTX 1070 or 1070 ti (depending on price and sales, a graphics card for about 400$)

Motherboard: Gigabyte x470 Arous ultra gaming am4 socket

16gb of ddr4 ram (haven't picked a specific model, I want to get it on sale for a little cheaper)

Power suply: Rmx series, Corsair RM750x - 750 watt (fully modular and gold certified)

To hold all the components I choose you: Bitfenix Nova midi tower

I want the high end ryzen cpu because I want to have fast render times and not 2-6 hours of waiting to see some of the result and see that I fucked up and need a new render. The GPU is choosen to be able to tackle any game I throw at it at at least 60fps at high settings. And the rest is chosen to not bottleneck the rest of the components. I haven't chosen a ssd because I have one laying around because I bought one for my current laptop for expansion but I found out I needed a cable which only acer makes and only gives them out in the US, not EU.

But, I am still unsure what cpu I should go for. The 2700x seems to be good but the first gen thread ripper looks very good too (even to the same price) and I am still now sure to go for AMD or INTEL.

The price range of the computer should be 1000-1200$

Any advice would be appreciated

Be sure to get at least 3000MHz RAM.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Are you good with buying a used graphics card from eBay? It's a great way to save money and get the same performance.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

20 minutes ago, FlicKR said:

Check for used 980tis or Vega FE cards if you need something more workstationy

get 3000mhz or better RAM

You can just overclock the R7 2700 to have the same performance.

And get a case that actually has airflow.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I live in Norway so I don't have access to eBay as easily. I have thought of buying used, so yes if possible. I would also look for any sales when buying to get everything for a little less

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

You can just overclock the R7 2700 to have the same performance.

I am very inexperienced in overclocking so I don't really want to take the risk

2 minutes ago, FlicKR said:

It takes 2 minutes to go into Ryzen master and set 1.2-1.3V 4.1ghz

Just don't go over 1.4V and you'll be fine

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

If you only want a new product you will have to stick to your budget of the $400, if you can find one on ebay you can get the 1070ti which is basically a 1080.

Ebay has buyer protection so if the card is fake or is not working you can claim it and get refunded. 

1 minute ago, DVA said:

If you only want a new product you will have to stick to your budget of the $400, if you can find one on ebay you can get the 1070ti which is basically a 1080.

Ebay has buyer protection so if the card is fake or is not working you can claim it and get refunded. 

Thanks for the advice

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

It takes 2 minutes to go into Ryzen master and set 1.2-1.3V 4.1ghz

Just don't go over 1.4V and you'll be fine

Okay will do. Saving money on things is always a good thing to hear

1 minute ago, FlicKR said:

Thanks for the advice

Okay will do. Saving money on things is always a good thing to hear

If the price difference is like $20-30 the X Chips are probably worth it.

Currently in the US the price difference is like $70 so the X isn't worth it.

Spoiler

Where I live the difference is like 50$ so I think I will OC. But, should I really do it? I think I will just use the fan that comes with the cpu so overclocking it might now work as well? Just a thought

18 minutes ago, FlicKR said:

X470 with 2700x is a fine combo because of xfr 2.0, so non overclocking is viable

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 hours ago, fasauceome said:

X470 with 2700x is a fine combo because of xfr 2.0, so non overclocking is viable

The chipset doesn't actually affect XFR 2.0, probably not worth $50 for the X CPU

5 hours ago, FlicKR said:

Where I live the difference is like 50$ so I think I will OC. But, should I really do it? I think I will just use the fan that comes with the cpu so overclocking it might now work as well? Just a thought

I assume you're going to replace the stock cooler at some point anyways. any cheap 120mm air cooler will be better than the stock coolers.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

The chipset doesn't actually affect XFR 2.0, probably not worth $50 for the X CPU

XFR is only on the x series chipset.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

XFR is only on the x series chipset.

No, there's no difference, MAYBE from like B350 to X470, but that may be more down to bios revisions than anything.

Spoiler