Help with non-K build vs K build

Which build for my purpose?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which build for my purpose?

• 8400/8700 build
    • 8600k build

Guys need your advice, have an ASUS Vega56 ROG Strix and XG2401 144hz FreeSync monitor.
I need to buy the rest of the components. I want to go for the i5 8600k and overclock it at some point, the problem is that I do not have the money for that processor, a mother Z370, an AIO cooler (which I really like is the Kraken x62) and a good PSU.
I have 2 options, go for an 8400/8700, B360 mobo and forget about overclock or go for the 8600k with Z370 mobo, CM Hyper H411r and later buy the Kraken x62 and better PSU.
The PC wil be 100% for gaming, and 90% are shooter games.
Prices here where i live w/o shipping:
-8400: $200
-8600k: $285
-8700: $350
-ASUS B360-G ROG Strix: $110
-ASUS Z370-G ROG Strix: $160
-CM H411r: $30
-Kraken x62: $235
(Yes, going for a mATX build, NZXT h400i case)
Feel free to suggest other options. Thanks!!

3 minutes ago, alecipo said:

Guys need your advice, have an ASUS Vega56 ROG Strix and XG2401 144hz FreeSync monitor.
I need to buy the rest of the components. I want to go for the i5 8600k and overclock it at some point, the problem is that I do not have the money for that processor, a mother Z370, an AIO cooler (which I really like is the Kraken x62) and a good PSU.
I have 2 options, go for an 8400/8700, B360 mobo and forget about overclock or go for the 8600k with Z370 mobo, CM Hyper H411r and later buy the Kraken x62 and better PSU.
The PC wil be 100% for gaming, and 90% are shooter games.
Prices here where i live w/o shipping:
-8400: $200
-8600k: $285
-8700: $350
-ASUS B360-G ROG Strix: $110
-ASUS Z370-G ROG Strix: $160
-CM H411r: $30
-Kraken x62: $235
(Yes, going for a mATX build) 
Feel free to suggest other options. Thanks!!

Well you have the i7 non k listed so that is in your thoughts.

So get the 8600k, the price from 8600k to 8700 is $65.

B vs Z mobo difference is $50 so get the Z instead with the saved money from the 8600k vs the 8700.

$15 leftover. Now you need  the psu and aio cooler.

How much overclocking are you planning on? You might even need an aio cooler if you get some food air cooling. It would be cheaper. 

1 minute ago, DVA said:

Well you have the i7 non k listed so that is in your thoughts.

So get the 8600k, the price from 8600k to 8700 is $65.

B vs Z mobo difference is $50 so get the Z instead with the saved money from the 8600k vs the 8700.

$15 leftover. Now you need  the psu and aio cooler.

How much overclocking are you planning on? You might even need an aio cooler if you get some food air cooling. It would be cheaper. 

For the PSU at least 650w 80+ Bronze i think
For the AIO cooler i really like the Kraken x62 but i can not afford it right now.

Just now, alecipo said:

For the PSU at least 650w 80+ Bronze i think
For the AIO cooler i really like the Kraken x62 but i can not afford it right now.

Really? I have an i7 8700k and 1080ti with a 550w G2 Gold. It's enough, I don't think you need a 650watt. 

12 minutes ago, DVA said:

Really? I have an i7 8700k and 1080ti with a 550w G2 Gold. It's enough, I don't think you need a 650watt. 

I thought that considering the Vega 56 consumption and the overclocking

7 minutes ago, alecipo said:

I thought that considering the Vega 56 consumption and the overclocking

Vega 56 isn't really that much more power hungry than a 1080 ti. A 550w would be fine.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

35 minutes ago, DVA said:

14 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Vega 56 isn't really that much more power hungry than a 1080 ti. A 550w would be fine.

Considering the overclock too? And 80+ bronze? or does it have to be gold?

You're wasting money on the AiO. Even the best AiO do not outperform top of the line air coolers that cost half the price or less. You do not get better cooling performance, only looks and maybe a little bit less noise. Don't waste money if you're on a tight budget. Go with a Noctua NH-D15 or a Cryorig H7. Cheaper and about as good at keeping your CPU cool. And please don't waste money on NZXT's smart "i" stuff. It's overpriced as hell and incompatible with most other RGB/DRGB stuff. Even Aura and similar semi "standards". And then there's their CAM software that is know to be buggy as hell. The H400 is about another $30 cheaper and just as good. Your mainboard of choice is also sort of the second most expensive mATX Z370 boards out there. If you're fine with 2 memory slots, go with the excellent EVGA Z370 Micro board. By far (!) the best VRM layout out there for any mATX board (maybe except their X299 Micro which is ridiculously beefy on the VRM side and made for extreme overclockers). The EVGA Z370 board should be ~$40 cheaper again. 

That'll save you almost $200. Should be enough for a 8600k and give you some spare for a nice NVMe drive.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

1 minute ago, alecipo said:

The 80+ classification is basically irrelevant for the internals of your system but only for your electricity bill to some (small) extent …

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Just now, alecipo said:

If you raise power limit to max it draws about 300w. 250w should be enough for the rest of the system.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-rx-vega-56,5202-21.html

80+ bronze just means efficiency. It doesn't impact ability to supply wattage. However, USUALLY 80+ bronze PSUS are worse quality than 80+ gold ones, but there are exceptions. Your PC seems pretty premium so I'd recommend you get a pretty good PSU, e.g. Focus, G1+/G2/G3, or rmx/rmi

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 hours ago, bowrilla said:

You're wasting money on the AiO. Even the best AiO do not outperform top of the line air coolers that cost half the price or less. You do not get better cooling performance, only looks and maybe a little bit less noise. Don't waste money if you're on a tight budget. Go with a Noctua NH-D15 or a Cryorig H7. Cheaper and about as good at keeping your CPU cool. And please don't waste money on NZXT's smart "i" stuff. It's overpriced as hell and incompatible with most other RGB/DRGB stuff. Even Aura and similar semi "standards". And then there's their CAM software that is know to be buggy as hell. The H400 is about another $30 cheaper and just as good. Your mainboard of choice is also sort of the second most expensive mATX Z370 boards out there. If you're fine with 2 memory slots, go with the excellent EVGA Z370 Micro board. By far (!) the best VRM layout out there for any mATX board (maybe except their X299 Micro which is ridiculously beefy on the VRM side and made for extreme overclockers). The EVGA Z370 board should be ~$40 cheaper again. 

That'll save you almost $200. Should be enough for a 8600k and give you some spare for a nice NVMe drive.

NZXT h400 and EVGA z370 M are not available here unfortunately :(

On 19/9/2018 at 5:55 PM, bowrilla said:

Update:

I live in Argentina to be more exact, there are few options here..

• About h400, it's weird, but it's not available here, only the 'i' version.
  • About Noctua NH-D15 or Cryorig H7, aren't available too.
  • About EVGA Z370 M is $195

The only ones mATX mobos that i can get are:

• ASUS z370-g ROG Strix $150
  • MSI z370m MORTAR $130
  • AsRock z370m Pro4 $100 

I had choosen ASUS mobo because 4 things:

• Reinforced PCIe, the Vega56 is a bit heavy, I think about 1286g aprox
  • ROG compatibility with my GPU
  • Intel I219v LAN
  • SupremeFX S1220A CODEC 

Also, i can get EVGA clc 280 AIO for $135

Maybe I give importance to things that do not make sense, but it's my first build and I need help. Thanks you guys!