Using a laptop minus the screen.

Olaw

I’ve modded my Acer Predator Helios 300 17”

to be used as a slim Commodore 64 -style PC without the screen, only to output with hdmi to TV or my gaming monitor.

I have entirely removed the laptop hinges and display/wlan wirings. All thing considered the laptop works perfectly fine and is much more portable thanks to the excess weight loss.

Would there be any long-term disadvantages to this mod, considering the hardware and might it cause any conflict with the intel gpu and nvidia? 

6 minutes ago, Olaw said:

to be used as a slim Commodore 64 -style PC without the screen, only to output with hdmi to TV or my gaming monitor.

I have entirely removed the laptop hinges and display/wlan wirings. All thing considered the laptop works perfectly fine and is much more portable thanks to the excess weight loss.

Would there be any long-term disadvantages to this mod, considering the hardware and might it cause any conflict with the intel gpu and nvidia? 

No.  I use a laptop plugged into a monitor pretty much every day for work.  The computer doesn't care what it is outputting to.

Only disadvantage I would say is that you can't use it everywhere, only where you have an access to a monitor, and also dust is going to flood your keyboard.

19 minutes ago, lavablade02 said:

Why would you ever want to do this? Seems unnecessary. 

Bad display, broken hinge or so many other things. I did that with one my older laptops as well. I had a new one and older worked fine except the screen. So I removed the screen, modded the case for a little more airflow and connected it to my TV. That became my media computer.

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

21 minutes ago, Olaw said:

It will be perfectly fine. Just make sure you clean it regularly (blow out the dust with air cans and such).

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

9 minutes ago, lavablade02 said:

Why would you ever want to do this? Seems unnecessary. 

I quess i was bit bored? The screen was quite a low point for the laptop to begin with but gaming experince with the keyboard was great so i got rid of the one thing which bothered me. The disassembly was easy thanks to the size of the laptop and is totally reversable.