GTX 1080

Resistance

A few questions

1. Best settings to use for Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC
  2. Best program to use for overclocking
  3. After I have over clocked do, I uninstalled the program or keep it running on every PC on restart then in the background

1.setting in what.

2. MSI afterburner.

3. once overclocked the component you over clocked with stay at that clock speed until you change it or it get too hot and throttles. the program can be used to monitor the clock speeds of you gpu and temps. but its not necessary to always have it running. and does not matter if its uninstalled.

also most GPU's automatically boost a little so the need to overclocking is not that massive 

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

1: every GPU (even down to different models of 1080s) is different. You must tune it

2: I highly recommend MSI afterbuner

3: You must keep afterburner installed, and its best to usually have it launch on windows boot to automatically apply the overclock

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1. Not sure, varies card to card

2. MSI Afterburner

3. Keep the program installed, check the "Automatically apply overclock" button

For my 1080 I use 75% power limit, +115 core and I think +350 memory, although I did this a long time ago and forget exactly what it is.  The main goal was to keep it quiet and with the lower power limit it stays around 60C.

So the MSI afterburner is the best program then? or they all the same

MSI afterburner is tried and tested. most of these forums and test sites use it and most content creators use it.

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

4 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

1. Not sure, varies card to card

2. MSI Afterburner

3. Keep the program installed, check the "Automatically apply overclock" button

For my 1080 I use 75% power limit, +115 core and I think +350 memory, although I did this a long time ago and forget exactly what it is.  The main goal was to keep it quiet and with the lower power limit it stays around 60C.

Did you do some kind of testing to see what kind of performance difference you get with the power limit at 75%? For example, say you overclock it 10% faster, then set power limit to 75%. Does the GPU now only overclock 7.5% faster? Usually when i'm overclocking for performance thats always maxed out - Im not going for efficiency or low temps im going for more frames.

I get you reason for wanting lower temperatures, but usually when you overclock your going for faster speeds. Maybe an interesting video. When you mine crypto a lot of people are setting low power limits and still overclocking, you might get 15% less performance for example, but you run the GPU 30% more efficiently. This means a higher profit in the end.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

6 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Did you do some kind of testing to see what kind of performance difference you get with the power limit at 75%?

I manually overclocked it so it's slightly faster than stock, but uses less power and creates less heat.  I don't remember exactly but I'm seeing about +5-10% FPS and -10C, normally stock power settings are very generous on the side of stability so if you can find that sweet spot where it's barely stable while using less power beautiful things happen. I could get a bit more performance if I was to up the power limit and fan speed, but I find the noise way too annoying.

1] You will have to play with the settings after looking into what they do and how to overclock.

2] I agree with MSI Afterburner.

3] This has been answered by others. It needs to remain installed, and you can select to have it automatically apply the overclock.

Question -

What monitor do you have? If it is a 1080p monitor, you shouldn't have to change anything.

If it is a 1440p monitor, you shouldn't have to change anything...more than likely.

If it is a 4k monitor or you're doing VR, you shouldn't have to change anything unless you are seeing bad performance. I would wait to crank the bolts on this rig until you know it isn't performing as well as you would like.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

20 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

I would wait to crank the bolts on this rig until you know it isn't performing as well as you would like.

This is a good point.  With Nvidia's GPU boost the card will automatically overclock close to it's limits, meaning you can get very little extra performance out of the card by overclocking.

That said, pushing your card until you see artifacts as it desperately tries to go a bit faster is a lot of fun. I completely recommend it.

I use precision x only. Think I got around 2125 on 4 out of my 5 1080’s. With 500 on the memory as I tend not to go higher with little to no gains. 

Voltage and power on max. Hottest card is 50 and coolest would be 42. But I open loop cool. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz