Mirroring Software

Go to solution Solved by Tibon,
Just now, K0nvikT001 said:

Nah, just 1 mirror so i can have the old data on the new on, use the New one as if its the Old one and Wipe the old one clean and use it for something else... probably a back up drive or something else.. i dunno...

That's called cloning. You clone a hdd to another then do whatever you gonna do to each of them afterwards.

-clonezilla

-macrium reflect

-shadow copy

-easeus todo backup

-norton ghost

Pick your poison, they're all free or free trial application to clone your hdd. Even if you clone your os hdd it'll still works exactly like the source.

The only thing that's most of those application needs is the target hdd is bigger or equal in capacity than the hdd that's going to be cloned.

If you yalking abour real-time mirroring be prepared to provide 6gb of ram just to realtime mirror two 1tb hdd.

I am getting a new Hard Drive in a few days and i would like to make an exact copy of my secondary Hard drive. problem is though i have software like Steam (and its stuff) and other programmes installed on it. i just wanna mirror it and continue using it as normal.. . Any software i can use that's preferably free?

Is your new hdd capacity equal or bigger than the old one? If it is, use clonezilla, you have to make a live cd/usb-fd tho. Lots of tutorial on the net.

11 minutes ago, K0nvikT001 said:

I am getting a new Hard Drive in a few days and i would like to make an exact copy of my secondary Hard drive. problem is though i have software like Steam (and its stuff) and other programmes installed on it. i just wanna mirror it and continue using it as normal.. . Any software i can use that's preferably free?

Are you looking to make a clone backup, or a real-time mirror?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Are you looking to make a clone backup, or a real-time mirror?

Real time. i plan to use the new drive hence i need an exact mirror. (This is why i say mirror and not copy of the drive)

1 minute ago, K0nvikT001 said:

Real time. i plan to use the new drive hence i need an exact mirror. (This is why i say mirror and not copy of the drive)

Well obviously a RAID setup would do it, but support for that would largely depend on which motherboard and OS you have

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Okay. I assume you mean copying using RAID 1 right? if so, then will able to use the mirrored drive as normal?

And what i intend to do is mirror the existing drive then use it for something else... or as just a spare drive i keep in case of emergency. (but i will need to it to be clean first)

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Well obviously a RAID setup would do it, but support for that would largely depend on which motherboard and OS you have

1 minute ago, K0nvikT001 said:

Okay. I assume you mean copying using RAID 1 right? if so, then will able to use the mirrored drive as normal?

And what i intend to do is mirror the existing drive then use it for something else... or as just a spare drive i keep in case of emergency. (but i will need to it to be clean first)

So, no further mirroring after the initial mirroring? Or uou still want tocontinuously mirroring it while having both of them accessible from os?

Nah, just 1 mirror so i can have the old data on the new on, use the New one as if its the Old one and Wipe the old one clean and use it for something else... probably a back up drive or something else.. i dunno...

Just now, K0nvikT001 said:

That's called cloning. You clone a hdd to another then do whatever you gonna do to each of them afterwards.

-clonezilla

-macrium reflect

-shadow copy

-easeus todo backup

-norton ghost

Pick your poison, they're all free or free trial application to clone your hdd. Even if you clone your os hdd it'll still works exactly like the source.

The only thing that's most of those application needs is the target hdd is bigger or equal in capacity than the hdd that's going to be cloned.

If you yalking abour real-time mirroring be prepared to provide 6gb of ram just to realtime mirror two 1tb hdd.

4 minutes ago, Tibon said:

-clonezilla

-macrium reflect

-shadow copy

-easeus todo backup

-norton ghost

okay yeah thanks man. the target is bigger capacity (as always). and i have 16GB RAM so i should be sorted... thanks for your time