Old Hard Drive - What Connection?

_Froyo

Long story short, I have an old laptop hard drive I need to get data off of, but the connector on it isn't SATA so I'm trying to figure out which adapter to get. The drive is a 20gb IBM Travelstar IC25N020ATCS04-0, which is supposedly has a standard PATA/IDE connector, but when looking for an adapter, it doesn't look like a standard 40-pin connection. Here are some pictures:

0912181940.thumb.jpg.d60501e25f4b7b041a913e7f0e37f51e.jpg0912181940b.thumb.jpg.ad4295944184a1bc434b5c535f595088.jpg

Does anyone know what kind of connector this is and what to look for when buying an adapter? Is this a regular 40-pin connection after all, making me an idiot?

Looks like IDE..

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Something like this probably the easiest. 

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

2 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Something like this probably the easiest. 

Yeah stuff like that is what I've been looking at, but there's no way the connector on that will be compatible with this hard drive. The only thing I can think of is maybe to get an adapter with a male connector.

Thoughts?

I can't find anything online about it. My guess is that it's a proprietary connector in order to connect that drive to whatever system it was in. You might be able to take the drive out of the casing and remove the connector. It's probably IDE underneath. (Don't take apart the hard drive, just the enclosure it's in.)

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

42 minutes ago, _Froyo said:

Yeah stuff like that is what I've been looking at, but there's no way the connector on that will be compatible with this hard drive. The only thing I can think of is maybe to get an adapter with a male connector.

Thoughts?

Thoughts are you have been given the answer and decided it is wrong. Find some other device then. But with the last of my patience I will tell you that mine works.

Oh. Although you do have to remove the drive from the caddy. But that's easy.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.