Help with onboard audio jacks

ChiefMaverick

I understand that with 6 pin jacks you can connect stuff like a subwoofer along with other speakers. But with a 3 pin jacks, if one is mic and the other is headphone audio, what does the third port do. I don't know I'm really confused. I need some help thanks. This is my first PC build so please excuse me if this is a really dumb question. Another dumb question, after connecting the graphics card, if I hook up my monitor to the GPU on first boot, will it actually show display output even without drivers?

1. About soundcard - it's for connecting subwoofer for example, but it doesn't really matter, since most of audio devices these days asks you what do you connected, so you can switch jack if you like and it will be ok.

2. Yes, GPU shows you display. Not accelerated or not even in highest resolution, but enough for install drivers.

[EDIT]: In 3 jacks there will be probably speakers, microphone and line-in by default, but still it's only default description.

Many modern motherboards support pretty much anything on any outgoing 3.5mm jack. So you could probably plug in any audio output device. But to know for sure I'd need to know which motherboard you are talking about ;)

Yes the monitor works without drivers, but its performance and sometimes even the resolution will be horrible. So do install the graphic card drivers as fast as possible

8 minutes ago, 1300ny said:

Many modern motherboards support pretty much anything on any outgoing 3.5mm jack. So you could probably plug in any audio output device. But to know for sure I'd need to know which motherboard you are talking about ;)

Yes the monitor works without drivers, but its performance and sometimes even the resolution will be horrible. So do install the graphic card drivers as fast as possible

I'm talking about this motherboard https://www.amazon.in/MSI-Motherboard-Motherboards-Z370-PRO/dp/B075GN9YC4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536664463&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=z370&dpPl=1&dpID=41638nLt52L&ref=plSrch

12 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

1. About soundcard - it's for connecting subwoofer for example, but it doesn't really matter, since most of audio devices these days asks you what do you connected, so you can switch jack if you like and it will be ok.

2. Yes, GPU shows you display. Not accelerated or not even in highest resolution, but enough for install drivers.

[EDIT]: In 3 jacks there will be probably speakers, microphone and line-in by default, but still it's only default description.

Do inline mics work for 3 jack's like in this board https://www.amazon.in/MSI-Motherboard-Motherboards-Z370-PRO/dp/B075GN9YC4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536664463&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=z370&dpPl=1&dpID=41638nLt52L&ref=plSrch or do I need to buy a splitter sort of thing joining the mic and headphone ports?

10 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Should, but I have no idea. I'm not using microphones at all.

Okay cool