How might this planned build change?

I'm going to the military for my mandatory 8 months of enlistment. Just after I released my first game and got excited to continue... 

Anyways, when I get back I'll be building something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LbTqNQ

How do you guys think this build should be different by then? What prices might go up /down. Should I wait for 7nm finfet or 10nm (zen 2, cannon delayke). Anything you might do differently about the build? (gamedev, gaming, 3.3k budget)

I'm at least hoping that RTX cards make sense by then and that PG35VQ finally comes out.

Send help

Within 8 months, the 20 series cards are already out, 9000 series CPUs and next gen Ryzen s are out, that RAM kit probably won't be the cheapest one with its specs and the 960 Evo might be unavailable. 

The best is planning the exact parts within ~1 week before you'll purchase the parts. The closer the better. 

:)

DRAM and NAND pricing should fall, but I will belive it when it happens, so you should be able to get a bigger SSD and more RAM.

I wouldn't spend that much money on a big NVMe SSD - I would get a smaller NVMe SSD for OS and then a big SATA SSD for games and data. To be honest, I've purchased an NVMe SSD recently and it didn't make a difference in boot times or system speed (or maybe I haven't discovered it yet).

It's great that you have a plan, but I think that 8 months is too long for making any plans in this industry. I'm predicting that you will be buying only fans, cooler and PSU from this list.

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

7 minutes ago, redteam4ever said:

DRAM and NAND pricing should fall

It's great that you have a plan, but I think that 8 months is too long for making any plans in this industry. I'm predicting that you will be buying only fans, cooler and PSU from this list.

Oh, the list itself is kinda illustrative. I know intel 9000 series will be out by then and the specifics will all change. I meant more generally about upcoming technologies like about nand flash prices like you mentioned.

Also since I live in a small country, there may not be any 1080ti's left (even used) in 8 months time, so if RTX benchmarks reveal that they are garbo value then I'll probably get the Strix 1080ti while I can and reallocate the surplus to like a cablemod pack.

Send help

1 minute ago, ManEatingFridge said:

Also since I live in a small country, there may not be any 1080ti's left (even used) in 8 months time, so if RTX benchmarks reveal that they are garbo value then I'll probably get the Strix 1080ti while I can and reallocate the surplus to like a cablemod pack.

Oh, ok :)

There is also Ebay, I've got my card from there - I have HD7950 and it still runs great. I've got it just after the first wave of mining and a couple of months back, I could've sold it for the price I've bought it :D

If I can look into the future, AMD is rumored to have 7nm cards, but I'm unsure about them being powerful enough to compete in high-end with NVIDIA. And for NVIDIA, the announced RTX cards are the first with ray-tracing and as the infamous Tom's article says, there's a price in being an early-adopter and I think that only the next-gen will prove if ray-tracing is even worth it. Sadly, NVIDIA cards aren't like a fine wine - that's more true for AMD.

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display