VPN VS Proxy while gaming

spree

Which is better if you already have a shitty internet? My friend says if you don't care about privacy, you should use a proxy while gaming. While I say that VPN's are better (if you have a shitty internet)for gaming (for example NordVPN) 

Someone please give the answer!

Edit: This is not a dicussion if you should use a vpn or a proxy while gaming. This is a discussion which of the two are better.

Since there is no encryption required for a proxy, it should be faster due to the lack of overhead. Proxies also have lower latency which would be better for gaming. 

For gaming, you shouldn't really use either.  Both add latency on the connection which wouldn't be there otherwise.

Why are you trying to Proxy/VPN while gaming?

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Some ppl do this to change their route to the game servers. It's... imo almost always bad. At least it should be in concept.

If you had to use anything, WTFast might be your best bet.. tho I'd recommend nothing.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

Its unlikely games will use the Proxy anyway for anything but downloads, as typically a Proxy is only for http/https traffic and games will use their own protocols over UDP.

VPN sure, but as already mentioned its a bad idea.  Not least that its unlikely you will be able to host a game using a VPN as you need specific incoming ports open to do so.  So unless the VPN supports uPNP, that isn't going to work.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

It's a circle jerk toss up that has too many variables.  VPN will be better at handling multi protocol traffic in most cases, lack of encryption saves you a bit of cpu but the route could be worse in the proxy side.

If your internet is already shitty then trying to pair it with VPN/proxy for gaming has about a 95% chance of making it even shittier.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

On 09/09/2018 at 4:52 PM, spree said:

Which is better if you already have a shitty internet? My friend says if you don't care about privacy, you should use a proxy while gaming. While I say that VPN's are better (if you have a shitty internet)for gaming (for example NordVPN) 

Someone please give the answer!

Edit: This is not a dicussion if you should use a vpn or a proxy while gaming. This is a discussion which of the two are better.

Which speeds are you getting right now, where do you live and why do you want to use a VPN while gaming?