Cheap USB 3.0 for Linux boot?

I want to make a Linux flash drive boot stick, but I want an upgrade from my crappy random brand 12 gb usb 2.0 one.

I found the following:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?reviews=all&Item=N82E16820147698&cm_re=usb_3.0_flash_drive-_-20-147-698-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820173133

These seem very appealing for their size, price (I am really budgeted), and their speed.

However, nearly every review states that both get extremely hot, and more importantly- the speed is only for the cache (Which is under a gig), and the main memory is pitifully slow.

I shouldn't be doing large file transfers on this, as it will just be a light linux boot, my libraries will be elsewhere.

My question is, how well do you expect to this to run a full linux install?

Which should I choose of the two, or do you recommend anything else?

Thanks.

Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.75* RAM: 2 by 8gb G.Skill Flare X 2400 @2666* GPU Strix GTX 1070 @1880-ish

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500gb; 2x 2tb Seagate Barracuda Drives; 1tb hdd (It died after 4 years :();

Laptop: (HP Stream 11-y010nr "Spent all my money on my Desktop" Edition)

CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 @160 BILLION hertz RAM: 400 BILLION bytes Samsung DDR3L @160 BILLION hertz 

GPUIntel HIGH DEFINITION Graphics @32 BILLION hertz

Storage: 32 TRILLION bytes of SOLID STATE emmc C drive with 64 TRILLION bytes of SOLID STATE microSD card D drive.

*Overclocked around 25% of the time... questionably stable.

to be blatantly honest, if you're wanting to get more than "average usb stick" speeds, look into usb SSDs instead.

but on the topic of booting linux off of it.. i've had linux boot off of an SD card on a laptop that also ran windows off a bog standard hard drive.. linux ran notably more snappy off the (pretty mainstream) SD card than windwows did off the hard drive. as long as its not a complete potato, linux'll run "good enough".

26 minutes ago, manikyath said:

to be blatantly honest, if you're wanting to get more than "average usb stick" speeds, look into usb SSDs instead.

but on the topic of booting linux off of it.. i've had linux boot off of an SD card on a laptop that also ran windows off a bog standard hard drive.. linux ran notably more snappy off the (pretty mainstream) SD card than windwows did off the hard drive. as long as its not a complete potato, linux'll run "good enough".

How I'd love to get one of the basically-an-ssd-with-a-usb-port...

But I need one on my main rig first, saving up for that.

I just wanted to know if it will be significantly better than my current situation.

Thanks for the info.

Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.75* RAM: 2 by 8gb G.Skill Flare X 2400 @2666* GPU Strix GTX 1070 @1880-ish

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500gb; 2x 2tb Seagate Barracuda Drives; 1tb hdd (It died after 4 years :();

Laptop: (HP Stream 11-y010nr "Spent all my money on my Desktop" Edition)

CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 @160 BILLION hertz RAM: 400 BILLION bytes Samsung DDR3L @160 BILLION hertz 

GPUIntel HIGH DEFINITION Graphics @32 BILLION hertz

Storage: 32 TRILLION bytes of SOLID STATE emmc C drive with 64 TRILLION bytes of SOLID STATE microSD card D drive.

*Overclocked around 25% of the time... questionably stable.