HDD with bad sectors

dannolt
Go to solution Solved by dannolt,
31 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

screenshot?

it wont be smaller, there is extra sectors to replace bad omnes.

you should sheck your backupsa and probably get a new drive.

Forgot to take a screenshot but at the start there were a few bad sectors and then around the middle or something it started to show everyone single one as bad, so I restarted the test and every single one from the start were bad and the speed section said n/a. TL;DR the HDD died :D

So I have a hard drive with bad sectors. Don't know how many yet because I just started the test, but I would like to know if there is a way to somehow exclude them from the drive by reducing the capacity of the drive ? BTW the program I'm doing the test with is called HD Tune.

AFAIK it will do that automatically once they have been found but its only a matter of time before the problem becomes unmanageable.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

38 minutes ago, dannolt said:

So I have a hard drive with bad sectors. Don't know how many yet because I just started the test, but I would like to know if there is a way to somehow exclude them from the drive by reducing the capacity of the drive ? BTW the program I'm doing the test with is called HD Tune.

screenshot?

Chkdsk can mark bad sector and exclude it from use, but it's temporary solution. I was always wondering why system just don't exclude bigger section of harddrive if detects bad sectors. It may be still good disk for moving not important data (for example - nice photos and videos to friend or as backup drive for less important data). But all systems and programs, as far as I remember, check only founded sectors as bad and allow to write on next sector without problem, even if it's high probability that it fails too very soon.

Small workaround - if it's only few sectors in some specific place on harddrive and you can check where they are, you can divide your bad HDD to two partitions with space between them (or just third, hidden partition) and skip this way larger area on harddrive that contains bad sectors.

31 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

screenshot?

Forgot to take a screenshot but at the start there were a few bad sectors and then around the middle or something it started to show everyone single one as bad, so I restarted the test and every single one from the start were bad and the speed section said n/a. TL;DR the HDD died :D