Any advantage of running a separate ssd for Os?

Gdourado

Hello, how are you? 

I am wondering if for a gaming machine is better to have a separate smaller ssd for windows install and a bigger drive for the steam and uplay libraries? 

Or if it is OK to just have a single larger drive for everything. 

I always heard that two separate drives was better because that way the os drive wouldn't be filled and could have free space to allow the system to breathe and not choke up. 

Any truth to that? 

Cheers 

It's OK to have a single larger drive for everything.

Stuff runs faster if your OS is on an SSD though. Your OS will be snappier, and even some games if you can manage to fit those onto the SSD as well.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

It's recommended to have the gaming library on a HDD solely because of the game sizes - if you have enough money to buy a big SSD, then go for it and store everything there. I would be going for a mixed approach, as Steam allows you to install games wherever - have your most played games on an SSD and those you play less on the HDD. Although, for prolonging your SSD's lifespan you should not be filling it to its maximum capacity (especially zero over-provisioning SSDs). Also, you can have pricier NVMe drive for an OS and cheaper but bigger SATA SSD for games and then HDD for data/less important games... possibilities are endless.

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

Thank you for your replies. 

Use case is small form factor, so that's why I ask because single drive is better for cable management.