Monitor for 1070 and i5 8600k?

Ryzen 2600X
Go to solution Solved by SHROUD,
9 minutes ago, masterRACE said:

Why more balanced?

There's no use of overspending on 8600k+cooler+z370 Mobo...when u can get a similar performance from 8400...

Also....a 1070 would be more than enough fr 144hz at 1080p..

What kind of monitor would I need for a GTX 1070 and an i5 8600k? 75Hz, or 144Hz? If I went with the 75 Hz monitor, would it limit the frame-rate onscreen? Thanks.

I'm assuming you mean at 1080p resolution? If so, then you could get away with a 144hz monitor. they usually have the ability to set the refresh rate at intervals like 60hz/75hz/90hz/120hz, etc... And yes, whatever the refresh rate of your monitor is set to, if you turn on v-sync, the game will limit to that monitors refresh rate. unless you get a g-sync monitor, then it will always be synced regardless of the fps you are pushing, but they are usually very pricey. You want your frames to be synced regardless how you do it to avoid screen tearing.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

42 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

I'm assuming you mean at 1080p resolution? If so, then you could get away with a 144hz monitor. they usually have the ability to set the refresh rate at intervals like 60hz/75hz/90hz/120hz, etc... And yes, whatever the refresh rate of your monitor is set to, if you turn on v-sync, the game will limit to that monitors refresh rate. unless you get a g-sync monitor, then it will always be synced regardless of the fps you are pushing, but they are usually very pricey. You want your frames to be synced regardless how you do it to avoid screen tearing.

Would FreeSync work?

2 minutes ago, masterRACE said:

Would FreeSync work?

No. There is a recent post about how to get freesync to work on nvidia cards, but it is far from reliable or stable. So G-sync is your best bet for adaptive sync tech since it's designed for nvidia cards. you can go without either and find the sweet spot on a 144hz monitor for your games by limiting the refresh rate on the monitor itself to whatever fps you can push in each game and turning on v-sync. anything over 75hz you will notice a big improvement.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

19 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

No. There is a recent post about how to get freesync to work on nvidia cards, but it is far from reliable or stable. So G-sync is your best bet for adaptive sync tech since it's designed for nvidia cards. you can go without either and find the sweet spot on a 144hz monitor for your games by limiting the refresh rate on the monitor itself to whatever fps you can push in each game and turning on v-sync. anything over 75hz you will notice a big improvement.

So, just go with a 144 Hz monitor, leave V-Sync off, and it will work good? I don't really care about getting an exact number of frames, I just want it to be above 60 FPS ;)

1 minute ago, masterRACE said:

So, just go with a 144 Hz monitor, leave V-Sync off, and it will work good? I don't really care about getting an exact number of frames, I just want it to be above 60 FPS ;)

Yes, go with 144hz. No, I wouldn't recommend leaving v-sync off as screen tearing will be a big issue. (you don't have to, but most people don;t like screen tearing). Just in games, set the refresh rate on the monitor to just below whatever the average framerate you are getting in game, and turn on v-sync which will keep it synced at that frame rate. (i.e. if you are getting about 100-110 fps with v-sync off, set the monitor to 90hz, or whatever is closest but not over, then you will be locked at 90hz with buttery smooth display) if that makes sense?

5 minutes ago, masterRACE said:

That monitor looks solid, don't need the freesync, but that doesn't seem to affect the price on that one.

17 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

Yes, go with 144hz. No, I wouldn't recommend leaving v-sync off as screen tearing will be a big issue. (you don't have to, but most people don;t like screen tearing). Just in games, set the refresh rate on the monitor to just below whatever the average framerate you are getting in game, and turn on v-sync which will keep it synced at that frame rate. (i.e. if you are getting about 100-110 fps with v-sync off, set the monitor to 90hz, or whatever is closest but not over, then you will be locked at 90hz with buttery smooth display) if that makes sense?

That monitor looks solid, don't need the freesync, but that doesn't seem to affect the price on that one.

Okay, makes sense then. Thank you very much!

What do you think about my build list? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gtFPvn

10 minutes ago, masterRACE said:

Okay, makes sense then. Thank you very much!

What do you think about my build list? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gtFPvn

You are very welcome.

I would say that is a very solid build. You will definitely accomplish the higher frame rate 1080p gaming you are looking for with that build, just make sure to overclock your CPU to get the most FPS possible from your GPU as at 1080p all CPUs are what holds your FPS back on cards better than a 1060. My only recommendation is to bump up to 16GB of RAM when you can afford it (I know RAM prices are insane right now) as that will benefit you if you keep things open in the background while gaming. But 8gb is still good for now.

Also, I dig that case a lot! Good on ya!

7 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

You are very welcome.

I would say that is a very solid build. You will definitely accomplish the higher frame rate 1080p gaming you are looking for with that build, just make sure to overclock your CPU to get the most FPS possible from your GPU as at 1080p all CPUs are what holds your FPS back on cards better than a 1060. My only recommendation is to bump up to 16GB of RAM when you can afford it (I know RAM prices are insane right now) as that will benefit you if you keep things open in the background while gaming. But 8gb is still good for now.

Also, I dig that case a lot! Good on ya!

Thanks mate!

6 hours ago, masterRACE said:

What kind of monitor would I need for a GTX 1070 and an i5 8600k? 75Hz, or 144Hz? If I went with the 75 Hz monitor, would it limit the frame-rate onscreen? Thanks.

Much better balanced build...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  ($179.00 @ Walmart) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B360M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($71.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($80.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($292.89) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($39.49 @ Newegg Business) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.67 @ Amazon) 
Total: $813.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-06 16:25 EDT-0400

20 hours ago, SHROUD said:

Much better balanced build...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  ($179.00 @ Walmart) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B360M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($71.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($80.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($292.89) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($39.49 @ Newegg Business) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.67 @ Amazon) 
Total: $813.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-06 16:25 EDT-0400

Why more balanced?

9 minutes ago, masterRACE said:

Why more balanced?

There's no use of overspending on 8600k+cooler+z370 Mobo...when u can get a similar performance from 8400...

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:37 PM, SHROUD said:

I see now, thanks!