Cheap Cloud Backup for my NAS

john01dav

Hello,

On my NAS right now, I have 1.3TBs of data in raid 1. I am looking to create an offsite backup of this data using the Linux tool duplicity. I have temporary access to a fast enough Internet connection (100mbps upload) to do this once I find where to back it up to). I am looking for a storage solution where I pay a fixed rate each month (or year, or maybe even longer if needed) and have unlimited uploads and downloads. A fixed amount of storage is acceptable as long as it is at least 2TBs, although ideally 4TBs, for 3TBs is the capacity of my NAS's raid1 array, and I am doing incremental backups. I prefer to access it over standard Linux remote access protocols (ie. sshfs, rsync, nfs, maybe ftps or samba), although anything compatible with duplicity is acceptable. My budget is in the neighbourhood of US$10 per month. Ideally the solution will have some sort of raid-style replication on its end, but, if that isn't possible, I can re-upload in the case of a remote drive failure.

Thank you

problem with almost every umlimited plan is they get canceled as people abuse it. There are some solutions like google and dropbox for buiness, but those are a min of 60usd a month. blackblaze b2 is probably cheaper here.

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

problem with almost every umlimited plan is they get canceled as people abuse it. There are some solutions like google and dropbox for buiness, but those are a min of 60usd a month. blackblaze b2 is probably cheaper here.

I looked into Backblaze B2. It seems to have a pricing model that varies based on how much I use it, where, for example, a restore ends up costing essentially double what I would otherwise pay that month. I am looking for something with a fixed monthly pricing model. It appears that Backblaze's US$5 a/mo personal backup product is limited to windows and mac, something that is not an option because my NAS runs Linux, as do all of my other computers.

2 hours ago, john01dav said:

I looked into Backblaze B2. It seems to have a pricing model that varies based on how much I use it, where, for example, a restore ends up costing essentially double what I would otherwise pay that month. I am looking for something with a fixed monthly pricing model. It appears that Backblaze's US$5 a/mo personal backup product is limited to windows and mac, something that is not an option because my NAS runs Linux, as do all of my other computers.

a pay per use plan is the best option here as explained above. Almost all unlimited plans will stop you after so much and will probably cancel soon due to abuse. Just pay for b2, it won't be too expensive for  your storage. Or get a offsite server to clone too.

Duplicity user! yay. It's been saving my bacon for over a decade now. :)

You might want to take a look into Tarsnap. Or maybe pair duplicity with AWS.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law