Cortana doesn't respond to me

Go to solution Solved by GodOfKnockers,

I figured it out...When you are doing an install of Windows 10, and you plan to use Cortana, make sure your headset or microphone is plugged in first BEFORE you start setup. I didn't do that the last time, and the result is Cortana doesn't work right at all.

Should you accidentally forget to plug in your headset/mic, then you'll have to clean install and start over. 

Cortana is working perfectly now.

So here is the problem:

I reinstalled Windows 10 yesterday because a lot of features weren't working correctly at all-

Mail app was slow, apps were hard to load, and Cortana was having a hard time responding to me.

After trying and applying every solution I could find online to address the issue, still nothing.

So now after the reinstall, everything works fine, except Cortana.

Cortana CAN and always does respond to "Hey Cortana", but anything after that, nothing. 

So she can hear me, but it's limited to just her start phrase.

Can anyone offer any ideas on how to fix this?

And yes, I have checked my audio controls and levels, they are fine.

Update: Got a Microsoft Tech to remote access my PC and see if he could figure out what to do. He came up with nothing. 

The only thing I can figure is that maybe a recent update by have messed up Cortana. 

As far as you can tell everything else seems to be ok? Mail app isn't slow? Apps aren't hard to load?

Are you running Windows off an SSD or HDD? If it's the latter I might be inclined to look at hard drive usage.

It's an SSD. 1 1/2 years old. Tested it and it's an excellent shape. 

And yes Mail, Calendar...all the apps are working like normal.

Edit: I just tried uninstalling the most recent updates to Windows 10 just to see if it was one of them causing the issue - the problem remains.

Here is a video of the problem: https://youtu.be/3Ni7vdedqRE

Edited by PlayBoyMan

The video is very helpful. She initially responds to your voice so it's not a microphone issue. I've seen some suggestions online to go into the settings, disable Cortana and then re-enable Cortana. If this doesn't work straight away, maybe try disable Cortana, restart and then re-enable Cortana.

I figured it out...When you are doing an install of Windows 10, and you plan to use Cortana, make sure your headset or microphone is plugged in first BEFORE you start setup. I didn't do that the last time, and the result is Cortana doesn't work right at all.

Should you accidentally forget to plug in your headset/mic, then you'll have to clean install and start over. 

3 hours ago, PlayBoyMan said:

Good to hear you got it figured out, that seems like a bug in Windows to me...very weird.